climbing in

Somewhat of an offbeat question, but I was wondering how hard it is to climb back into a Dory.  It is light and having 175 lbs pulling on the rail might cause some problems.  I like to jump over once in a while to cool off, even enjoy taking down the sails and lounging in the middle of the lake swimming, reading, listening to the ballgame etc.   There doesn't appear to be an easy way to mount a ladder.  I'm 60 now and in pretty good shape but gravity is beginning to get the upper hand.  Anyone find an easy way back on?

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: climbing in

Anchor your boat before it drifts, is blown away, or carried by currents.

How fast can you swim and how long can you  swim at that speed?

I expect that you could not keep up with a drifitng at 3 miles an hour.

I would use a a rigid or rope lader to make getting in over the gunawles.

How about a bucket of water hanging over one gunwale as you get in the other side, possibly with a rope ladder or just a loop of rope?

Keith

I like that bucket of water idea, will try it out in shallow water first.

The bucket sounds like a cool idea.

Water = 8 lbs/gallon.

That's a 22 gallon bucket for 175 lbs. Even if you reduced the counterbalance weight to 87 lbs to allow use during all phases of re-entry, that's still a big bucket (or 2 medium buckets).

It'll be interesting to see how this works, especially as you get completely aboard, the boat lists and you fall toward the side with the bucket. :-)

I think that the trick will be to position the bucket so that it's only out of the water while you're climbing in. Once you're over the top the bucket should be under water.

Definitely try it in shallow water first, but deep enough that you can't touch bottom.

Laszlo

I'm thinking that the best aid to climbing back in would be some sort of inflatable sponsoon (SP?) that could be attached to provide additional bouyancy on side you are climbing in from.  perhaps straps that could be slipped under bow and stern and hooked to opposite gunwale.

Sorry about spelling errors. I can plane a nice bevel but can't spell.

Ed

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.