Looking for fellow builders in Northern Virginia

I am getting ready to start on building my first kit, a Shearwater 17, and would like to compare notes with builders of any CLC kit, in the Arlington/Fairfax County area in Virginia, whether you are building now, or have built in the past. 

Thanks!

Alec

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Looking for fellow builders in Northern Virginia

Try searching the "builders club" page. Or, you are only 45 min or so in good traffic from the "mothership" in Annapolis

it may not be obvious where the builders club page is.  use this link:

http://www.clcboats.com/accounts/manage-account/

and select the option to search the builders club.  you can set a 'miles from a zipcode' setting and see anybody who set up a profile for having built a kit in that area.

you should find me there....in bethesda md.  i have 12 boats under my belt and getting ready to start a new one.

howard

Alec .....I am a skerry builder and if I may add some thoughts on the process , for what they are worth, they are these: at each step as outlined in the building manual, th e step only became clear after reading it four or five times. I am not skilled with tools, but beware any sentence that begins with the words "just simply".....you get the idea. Often I found myself,forging ahead without any condidence or real idea what I was doing...but the results were often magical. Despite my best efforts, the boat began to build itself.....I often found myself looking at my finished work with a great sense of pride. I will pass on one particular part of the process that I found most vexing, and it comes near the end. Fiberglassing is very difficult (don't let them tell you it isn't ) and is fraught with peril. The process is messy and imprecise and a sloppy job may result in little air pockets inviting, over time, trapped water....a bad thing as you may imagine. View the many videos on fiberglassing 

before you start, and if you are  anywhere near Annapolis, you can get some hands on from CLC.....in the end, boldness and good luck. You will  have the most beautiful boat they sell .....ps. Get the sailing rig.....it triples pleasure....Tomc

Alec.....I misread your request for help and thought you were working on a Skerry...no matter....my thoughts remain the same on building and fiberglassing....good luck and have fun...Tomc

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.