Bridge Clearance, NE Dory?

Does anyone know the bridge clearance of the NE Dory lug rig? (max height of the aft end of the head of the sail/lug in the sailing position)

I'll be building a lug rig NE Dory this winter and sailing it on the Maine coast in the spring.  As I look at the clearance of swing and draw bridges in Google Earth I want to know where I can go without having to lower the mast or have the bridge open.

Thanks!!

Curt Dennis

817 456 2878

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Bridge Clearance, NE Dory?

The height of the peaked yard is exactly 15 feet, or 180 inches.  The height above the waterline of the mast, with the sail doused, is 10'10".

Be careful to allow for different water levels. The water level during slack tide can vary due to recent downpours, droughts, or even winds blowing water into a bay, estuary, or river.  This could easily change the water level by several inches or more.

I do not think I would trust Gooble Earth as a reliable source for water navigation. You might want to get or check current navigation charts and chck with the locals about the current water levels.

Even lakes can have there water levels change suprisingly quickly.

John,

You anticipated a quesiton I forgot to ask, the height with the sail down.  Thanks!

George,

Yes agree on the variability and I should have said that I just looked at Google Earth to see where bridges are and the rough clearance.   I agree I will need tide charts...I'll be in the Phippsburg, Popham, Boothbay area...can you suggest how I can find tide charts online?

Lots of iPhone apps for tides. I use "AyeTides" and find it fast and accurate.I know the Maine Coast can be short on cell service but for planning at home and where the service exises it will be great. SEEYA Jack

Like Jack said, there are lots of apps for an iPhone. I'm using real Tide which was about $2. I see there is one specific to the Chesapeake area... Chesapeake Tidwater but it's a $10 app instead of just a couple of bucks. There are of course apps for Android devices too.

Is the mast stayed on the NE Dory? Perhaps it would be really fast and easy to just take it down if you don't have the clearance that you need. You can always hang a bucket of water over the side on a halyard if you need a few more inches of clearance.

Keith

That was of course Chesapeake Tidewater!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.