Time? Varnish to paddling?

I finished my Night Heron last September, and I have used it a lot this summer. I get numerous complements from total strangers on the beauty and craftsmanship, and I'd like to thank everyone at CLC for the help they gave me throughout my build! I also refer these total strangers who wish to build their own wooden kayak to CLC, and I tell them about the great guys on the Forum who have helped make building less stressful. Thanks Forum guys!

I do have a question about the dry time for varnish before putting the boat in the water.

If I varnish over the scratches from normal use, how long do I need to wait before putting it back in the water?

I have been paddling on Lake Erie in Cleveland Harbor at least once a week all summer, and small rocks on beaches have taken a toll on my bow and stern!

Thanks,

Chris F

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Time? Varnish to paddling?

Congratulations on getting your Night Heron in the water! I'll let others answer about varnish drying time. I have 4 coats of Schooner on the rub rail on my boat Practice, and would like to get a couple more on. The bottom is finished with graphite and epoxy. I proved how tough it was when I rowed into a barnacle covered rock just below the surface. Whatever scratches you have, I would suggest sanding. If they can't be sanded out, you could apply epoxy over them and feather sand the edges. Basically, whatever scratches there are, they will show through the varnish. I've read many times that if you just wet it with water, that's what it will look like with varnish on it, and the limited experience I have with varnish, I would concur.

Keith

RE: Time? Varnish to paddling?

A quick and very short survey of friends who know about varnish yields a range of answers, but five days seems to be a consensus...but some people say once the varnish passes the thumbnail test, go for it. I would tend to varnish one weekend and go paddling the next.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.