West River 180 modification

From the Kayak Shop Book...I plan on  taking 1 1/2'' from the 22''beam..... by subtracting 3/4'' off either side of the keel line of the bottom pannels...I'll lower the sheer line....and do a Skin Deck.....I will be using 1/8'' 3 ply Baltic Birch for the hull ...which is only $12 a sheet.....

My last CLC build I made a Skin On Frame Chesapeake 16.....

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: West River 180 modification

Have you ever used the birch plywood before? 

Yes I have used the 1/2'' down to the 1/8'' on kayaks....I have had a pc.outside nailed to a fence post for a few yrs. now with no sign of delamination....I just finished a 17.5' X  22'' kayk using the 1/8''....

http://www.blueheronkayaks.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2323

I've got a WR180 that I built in 98.  Its now my sailrig sailing kayak per CLCs MKII and I love it best this way.  A few things to consider though...

the W180 while a fast high volume touring kayak, it is also quite tippy as a result. I've paddle a 20" hard chine once (Nick Schades Night Heron) that had more stability. I dropped the keel line a little deep by 2/3 inches inadvertently, so that had some effect too. Still, there is no one who'll tell you its a craft with snyghing close to firm into itall stability though its secondary is fine. Good even.  All that said, to let you kno if you make your kayak that narrow its going to paddle like a surfski. If u stop u flop or come close.  I would never do such a thing to my kayak if I were to do it again as its initial stability is already over caffeinated.  But that's me. If you feel up to the super hot stability all the power to you.

Other paddling characteristics: 

it tracks VERY strongly. A behavior I love in calm to choppy waters up to 12". Beyond that the tracking begins to get to be a bit of a side issue. Surfing 18" waves requires a lot of stern-rudder and sweep strokes to keep it from broaching. Over 18" chop the corrective strokes get distracting and even slow you down as you are balancing and steering rather than propelling as much as u should.

Alas the sailrig doesn't really give a hoot about my initial stability - its own is incredible naturally. What's more the straight tracking keel surrenders to my balanced rudder surprisingly good.

I like your wood choice. I'd maybe add a little extra lay up . Love working in birch. 

Pete

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.