cabinet scrapers

Rec'd a set of 4 cabinet scrapers from CLC today. The CLC shop note talks about the set of 4 scrapers come with 4 edge guides. I don't see anything in the package but the 4 scrapers. Anyone know what I should be looking for?

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: cabinet scrapers

I just searched and it says, "edge guards" which I would take to be pieces of plastic which cover the edges of the scrapers.  I made extensive use of scrapers in the build of my skerry but never had need for an edge guard as I sharpened the scraper before each use anyway.  

You are right,, edge guards, sorry. But I don't see any thing of that nature. I've never used these scrapers before. Is there a working edge on each shape or is the whole scraper used meaning all edges. I would think one edge has to be not so sharp for your hands to hold it????

The following page shows how to sharpen the scrapers... every few minutes.

http://www.clcboats.com/shoptips/stitch_glue/cabinet_scrapers.html

I might get flogged for saying it, but I've just been holding them 90 degrees to sandpaper in a hand sander (usually 120 grit) and running it back and forth a few times, and not burnishing them. Perhaps I should try a vice and file and burnishing them one day, but they seem to work very well the way I've been sharpening them.

Keith

Some of the scrapers have many useable edges. Do you sharpen or burnish just the edge you plan on using? If you dress all of the edges, do you where gloves to use them to protect your hands? Or do you not burnish the edge you plan to hold while working? Right now, as shipped from clc, all of the edges appear the same, concave & convex curves and straight edges.

Thanks, Ken.

Here's a Youtube video of how to sharpen a scraper.  http://youtu.be/6KqPFQHqWJg. 

Burnished or not the edges can raise a pretty good blister. You can use leather gloves or this could be the 1002nd use for duct tape. No edge guards came with my scrapers last year.

Typically, a rectangular scraper is sharpened on the two long edges, and scrapers with curved edges are sharpened on the curves.  It's not necessary to use gloves when using scrapers, as the edges are not "sharp" in the same sense as chisels.  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.