Neglected 17LT repair advice

So pre-kids, maybe 10 years ago or so, I made a 17LT and man, I loved that thing.  Since kids, it's been used minimally and was left outside exposed to the sun for a year or 2.  Coming out of the kid fog now and want to spruce the kayak back up for use.

Besides needing a good refinishing, a bunch of the fiberglass feels bumpy, almost like rough sandpaper, and there are a couple of areas where the wood is exposed.  Not sure if it had been exposed before, but it's along the bottom and it's where there is fiberglass all around those spots.  I've included links to 3 pics and would love some advice on the best way to get her back in great shape!

Thanks in advance-

Adam

pic1

pic2

pic3

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Neglected 17LT repair advice

Adam,

Sand off the glass right down to the wood. If the wood is rotted, cut it away and replace it. Reglass, finish and take your buddy out for a ride again.

Welcome back to the land of the living :-),

Laszlo

Looks like UV has seriously degraded the epoxy to the point that moisture probably got through to bare wood. Okoume is not rot resistant, so it may have been seriously damaged.

Careful use of a heat gun will soften the epoxy enough to make it easy to peel the fiberglass off. A sharp scraper with a bit of heat will then get you close to bare wood. Then it's time to get out the sander. Poke the wood with a sharp awl or ice pick in suspicious locations. If you find a lot of rot it will take a big effort to restore it.

Old Yeller 

Thanks for the advice guys.  Doesn't look like any rot but will start out by getting the glass off.

Thanks again!

Adam

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.