Nesting Eastport Pram difficult to take apart

The gasket between the two parts of my nesting pram form a really good seal and when it is time to take it apart, I have to tug, pull, jerk etc. It is too difficult. Has anyone else faced this issue and how can it be solved?

Thanks

George

17 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Nesting Eastport Pram difficult to take apart

JohnGalt as in Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged? Can't imagine him ever asking for anyone's help. But I can imagine why none of the worthless parasites he looks down on would leap forward with advice.

I realize those are sharp comments that really don't belong here. But neither does your handle, which seems intended to provoke.

Old Yeller 

Sounds like a big vacum between the gasket and the bulkhead. It might be being made worse by being in cold water and having the air within the gasket drop in temperature and compress naturally. Maybe having a plactic shim or scrpper to slip between the top of the gasket and the bulkhead might lest enoug are seep in to break the vacum. You might have to slide across the top of the gaskat.

Oh come now Keith, next thing you know someone will be hounding you for using "Old Yeller"

Besides, for all you know, he could be John Galt the 19th century Scottish novelist.

:-)

I will try to get a wedge in and let air leak out next time we are taking it apart. We will be enjoying the dinghy over the 4th weekend as we celebrate our independence sailing in the Marco Island area aboard our Tayana 37 sailboat named, you guessed it John Galt. So strangly enough, the handle has something to do with boating and only a little polical. BTW, the dinghy is called Little John. Our kayaks all have to have a name ending in rose.

For anyone inteested, we bought our boat during the financial crisis. It is our backup plan. In all likelyhood, the money printing will work out well for the first time in history, but just incase it doesn't, we have a pretty nice backup plan.

Thanks

George 

You named your Tayana 27 "John Galt"? How much flak do you catch for that? Because Ayn Rand was a simple-minded writer whose two dimensional characters were glorious heroes of commerce in their own minds, and viewed the rest of humanity in arrogant contempt. Very admirable indeed!

What are some of the other names in your circle of yachties?

Old Yeller

Hey Old Yeller, you need to lighten up here. I know you've described yourself as "grumpy" in a recent post but there's no need to bring that on to others who post here. Our John Gault seems  to be a nice guy, unlike his fictitious counterpart. And I'm sure there might be some cat lovers here who might be offended by your monicker and they might even wonder if your friends name their boats Lassie or Rin Tin Tin! I've been involved in small craft for a few years now and have been to many small craft festivals around the country and have met a remarkable group of craftsmen who love what we all do. Let's keep the focus on that and try to keep our political views to ourselves. Thanks!

George K

Thanks for your comments, George K. My remark about being grumpy was a joke. An unsuccessful one, it seems, because I don't think that poster got it either. But I don't care what anybody else's politics are here. I come here to talk about boats, and maybe enjoy an occasional bit of humor.

If a guy turns up wearing a white pointy Klan hood and is spouting hateful slogans, we all know what's going on, and there's no point in commenting. We'd just report him to the Moderator, and get on with our lives. But if he otherwise seems like a sane ordinary guy, I think he might like to hear that he's wearing a symbol on his head that a ton of people find offensive. I would want to hear that, and was hoping that this JohnGalt would too. So thanks for speaking up George K. We all benefit from feedback.

Old Yeller

(It's a joke on one of my favorite movies as a kid, and was lovingly applied to me by my family because I'm slowly going deaf.)

Maybe we just don't get your "humor", Old Yeller.  So let's just talk about boats.  If we want "humor", we'll read the funny papers.

John, we don't all share the same sensibilities, which is natural. There are a couple of posters on some other forums that I don't enjoy, so when I see their name I just skip over them.

Some boundaries are helpful to keep forums useful, but room for different personalities is also important. None of this is required reading. I don't intend to be obnoxious in anything I post, but if you don't like me, don't read me. I understand.

Old Yeller 

Old Yeller,

If John Galt posts a pic of himself wearing a white, pointy hat I'll be the first to report him to the moderator! You make a valid point about certain names invoking feelings, good or bad, in individuals. I'm just thinking that on this particular forum there aren't that many people who are going to take the time to read Ayn Rand or who have read it already and even know who JG is. Now if John Carpenter shows up here I'll definitely ask him about Mars. Where 'bouts do you live? Close to St. Michaels, MD would be nice as I'll be there along with other posters here for the Mid Atlantic Small Craft Festival the first weekend of October. It'd be great to put a name to the face, talk boatbuilding and trash the writings of Ayn Rand! And I do get your humor, grumpy or not!

Okay, enough of that, let's go build some boats!

George K

Thanks George K. I doubt Rand's John Galt would deign to show up anywhere in anything. He would have already slithered back inside the gates of his stately moted fortress.

But this horse looks awfully dead, and I'm sure we've all had enough of it. I do apologize to those who have wasted their time reading this. It's not what I normally come here for either.

Good luck, JohnGalt. Nothing I can say would probably help you. You might just be stuck with your sticky gasket.

Old Yeller

I was talking to Joey at CLC today and he mentioned sticky gaskets can be made non-sticky by applying a coat of Johnson's paste wax.

Laszlo

I'm also offended a man would name his boat John Galt, my daughters Dagny & Dominique are offended too.

Of course, it's possible that George named his boat and his handle after any one of 681 people who really are named John Galt in the United States. It's also possible that George's last name really is Hennard, Banks, Sodini or Geschwendt. So, of course it's really a good thing to give the guy a hard time. And if you have the time to do that, then you have the time to Google all those names and figure out what the hell I'm talking about -- which is altogether too much time on your hands. By the way, here's a real quote from Ayn Rand: "I am a mediocre writer, hypocrite and a sociopath. My disciples are ignorant deluded hypocritical sociopaths, too." Is that really true? How the hell do I know, but I read it on the Internet, so it must be. I hope you can solve Little John's gasket problem, George.

I enjoyed "Little John" over the 4th holiday weekend and when we got home, it came apart fine.  I used "bug slide" a silicone based wax. it was handy.  Next time I will use a higher grade wax but it did work. I appreciate the input on the dinghy gasket seal.

As to the handle name, well it is also the name of my big sailboat and it is named after the character in Atlas Shrugged. Although I appreciate the literary comments, I think this site is a rare find, a marketplace of unique ideas, expertise and experience on boat building.

Literary critique, especially about Atlas Shrugged is easy to find ELSEWHERE. 

Thanks

George

How about silicone spray?

2c on the AR thread..I just came from the American Library Assoc conf. in Chicago. The AR booth was lightly attended. I read AS, but skipped the 70 page JG  rant.

Dan

Just make sure that all those silicone based products are completely gone before you refinish the boat or it will be the epoxy shrugging, not Atlas.

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.