Alternative to CLC endorsed varnish

Good day

I am about ready to start varnishing my CH16. However, finding a suitable varnish in South Africa is proving difficult. Having contacted a few paint supplier "help lines" the urethane varnishes available here are not suitable for use over fibreglass. Interlux is not available in SA, neither is McCloskey Man O'War. What is available is 2K, a automotive clear "paint". 2K paint is an epoxy type paint consisting of the base plus a catalyst to start the chemical reaction that the paint needs to cure. Allthough usually applied with a spray gun it can be applied with a brush (no spray painting facilities). I would appreciate it if you could let me know what alternatives I should investigate. I am very keen to start varnishing but I don't want to ruin the CH16 at this late stage with an incorrect varnish. Thanks in advance.

Erik

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Alternative to CLC endorsed varnish

Erik - I'm looking forward to trying some Les Tonkinois #1. It is primarily Tung and Linseed oil... no harmful chemicals, and fast drying with  shorter time between coats.

Lrith

You would think that I could spell my name by now!

Keith

Lrith is sort of classy, in a sci-fi alien way.

Laszlo

Keith,

This is interesting. I know that tung oil offers at least some UV resistance (BLO does not) but I wonder about using a finish like this over epoxy. Does it bond properly? I've been advised to avoid the stuff as my daughter is highly allergic to most nuts, but I'm curious all the same.

Thanks,

Patrick

Lazlo - nau gar d'raah pdle - Lrith

Patrick - they claim the following without saying what provides the UV protection.

Le Tonkinois is highly resistant to Ultra Violet. Its natural materials protect both the varnish and the wood below. We have no reported UK UV problems in our 10 years experience with Le Tonkinois. One sample exposed untouched for 10 years has shown increasing yellowing but where we added an extra coat every 3 years as recommended no deterioration is visible. In much higher UV exposure areas (Mediterranean, Caribbean etc) the surface layer sometimes shows signs of deterioration after two to three years. Sanding off this top layer and adding further coat(s) restores the protection.

They do say their Le Tonkinois is more refined, and more UV resistant than their original product. They also say that it doesn't contain solvents, volatile or otherwise. I'm trying to avoid contact with solvents or breathing their fumes. I'm going a lot on their advertising. I haven't read any bad reviews by anyone, and lots of people seem to have good things to say about it.

http://www.letonkinois.net

Their website leaves a bit to be desired. The "English" pages don't load. I've read about it mostly on dealers sites. It is supposed to be "food safe" and not slippery on decks.

I still have to use up the varnish that I have on hand, but unless I hear anything bad about Le Tonkinois, it's on my "must try" list.

Keith

Patrick - the manufacture claims that it bonds well to epoxy. I've mentioned Le Tonkinois on this list a few times. Guess i should order some so I can try it out, but I was going to wait until I've used up what I have on hand.

Keith

I managed to find Glatex 8, a two pack aliphatic polyurethane enamel. It is supposedly very scratch resistant. I have two layers on the CH16 now and it provides a very high gloass finish. The last is a mixed blessing as any surface imperfection is shown up very clearly. Not to worry, as the Ch16 is my first attempt I always supected that it would be a 10ft boat (or 15ft? 18?). Thanks for the help.

Erik

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.