Kaholo 12-6 Build Work Table Size

I am going to be building a Kaholo 12-6 from plans starting in July in CT. I don't have enough space in my garage to be able to work comfortably. My idea is to build a table on casters (with locking wheels) so I can easily roll it in and out of the garage. How big should the table be to be large enough for the board and some supplies? 

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Kaholo 12-6 Build Work Table Size

I too am working out of a tiny garage and I have managed to build the same sized paddleboard largely on two plastic sawhorses.  A bit of a logistical challenge but it works.  

I have a work table on casters because my work area is 5 feet wide by 20 feet long.  I move the table back and forth as I'm working so I can access both sides of the boat as needed.  I have built two kayaks on this table (Shearwater and Wood Duck) and am working on a Kaholo 14' right now.  My work table is 24 inches wide by 16 feet long and has a shelf for storage underneath (works great for long boat parts, cedar strips, tools, etc).  I put a new sheet of 6 mil plastic on top of it for each build; easy to clean sawdust off, fiberglass drips pop right off, and there is no chance you will accidentally epoxy the boat to the table!

If I were building a table just for the Kaholo, I would make it wider for two reason:  1) epoxy drips from the widest parts of the SUP fall onto the floor (can be solved by putting down drop cloths); and 2) when joining the bottom hull pieces and the deck pieces they are wider than the table so it is more challenging to keep the puzzle joints flat on the parts that overhang the table (can be solved by doing this step on the floor of a garage or by the creative use of clamps which is what I did).

It is nice to have the table longer than the boat if possible because then you have a spot to mix epoxy, lay up the tail piece, etc.  I've found that two feet longer than the board is a minimum length if you want to use it for these purposes. 

My collection of work surfaces: A 4'x5' 1/2" plywood framed surface I use to clamp down scarf joints. One end has a tilted slider board I use to run a skill saw down to cut the scarf joints. This surface sits on sawhorses and I temorarily attach 1x4s runni8ng out to more sawhorses to extend the run so the thin plywood sits flat.

I assemvbled a 14' Kaholo on sawhorses. One must adjust fore and aft position of sawhorses to relieve any stress on the rocker, but the Kaholo  went together with very little aggravation.

I also have a 3' x 8' 2x6 frame with 1/2" ply & casters on the bottom. This makes a nice catch bin for scraps, tools, whatever. I attach temp cvradles to the ends set at comfy work height - now I have a cradled boat that I can easily move around on casters. At the moment my 3' x 8' caster rig contains a 15' 8" ttouring kayak. Coming up next, a 15' cat ketch dingy build.

Thanks guys, it sounds like I am on the right track. Good to know about going wider than the board with the table. My plan is to have a bottom shelf for tools and materials. I am only doing one board so I don't want to spend too much time/ money on the work table. 

My build is going to be a slow one as this is my first build and its too hot to work with either epoxy or varnish during the days. 

My plan is to do a painted hull and sides and a varnished deck. The main thing I am changing from the plans is I am replacing the 3 fins with a fin box and removable fins as I plan to use the board both in the surf and near costal paddling. I am exploring adding graphite powder to the final layer of epoxy for hull durability. 

heres my solution[i'll describe it as best i can[ i suggest building the length of your garage  . six 2x4  length is the height you want the bench minus caster height and 1/2 inch for top, screw 12 to 18 inch sheets of plywood  to both sides of the narrower side of board  attach these three pieces with a long 2x4on the outside of each sawhorse [extending past either sawhors  2 to three feet] [ attach casters]with the plywood at the bottom athach plywood sheets to the back of the sawhorses and  plywood to the top also extending to the ends of your long 2x4 thats your bench  ,now take luan or thin plywood nail long 1x2s to the bottom ,notch the  1x2 to hook over the plywood bases of the sawhorses and you have a bottom shelf with more storage space unde the shelf as well i suggest glue luana to the top of the bench tacked down with a few brad nails  and some polyurethane on that . run some angle up the wall above  it and make a cradle for finnished boats I'LL SEND A LINK WITH SOME PICTURES

here's some pics i shimmed the frame out on one saw horse to fit a kayak on the shelf i suggest you make the frame as wide as the top so you have a wider base notice 4 boats and still room for a car  https://picasaweb.google.com/114004687699074805904/Bench?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCPv0x8ff2M27ZA&feat=directlink

Thanks Greg, I think I am going with a table 4ft wide and 14ft long. Right now I am waiting for my casters to arrive and this rain to stop so I can actually start to build this thing. 

you really do not need a work table for the Kaholo.  I have built two just using level horses.  Just make sure that there is no twist by using levels and winding sticks before you set the hull.  after it is set, all you need is some foam pads on the horses for some support.  A table/work bench is handy for gluing up panels, but that could be done on horses as well or the floor.  The board is so light that you can just pick it up and move it, no need for a rolling table with casters.  I made a solid build table and then a dolly with 8 inch Casters for my Peeler skiff which is needed to move her in and out of my shop to sand outside. So if you plan on doing more projects then you would have a nice work table.  But if you are just doing one board, I would just have four horses and a drop cloth.   Have fun building the Kaholo!  A great board and so much fun to paddle.  The 12'6" probably will be a lttle better in surf than the 14'!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.