Is 3mm Okoume okay to use for the hull of a Wood Duck 10?

Hi,

I am going to start building a Wood Duck 10 soon, but I can't find 4mm Okoume (the plans call for 4mm Okoume for the hull).  I found 3mm for a great price.  Is it okay to use 3mm instead of 4mm? 

I plan on glassing the whole thing with 6oz cloth.

I also found a lot of 3mm Sapele.  Could I do the whole boat out of 3mm Sapele? 

Thanks for any insights.

12 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Is 3mm Okoume okay to use for the hull of a Wood Duck 10?

Id double glass it in they case. Its not going to fail you structurally in water, its some if those wind/wave driven hard groundings or a swell dumping you on a jagged rock. I'd double glass. Its simple enough and the best solution I believe.

Pete

Glassing both sides of the 3mm would add toughness, but the extra cost of epoxy and glass would likely exceed the cost of 4mm, and you would also have extra weight. Your call ...

Old Yeller

Well both sides are glassed  regardless  of wood thickness. I doubt the extra glass is adding all that much cost - especially if it were compared to the cost of the wood and the added shipping charges for weight.

Pete

Oh. I was figuring plans called for exterior glass only. Never mind then ...

Old Yeller

No problem.

I have built 3 boats from 3mm , glassed with 4 oz on the outside only , with no problems.

Makes a nice light boat , plenty strong enough.

Bris Paul

A lot of designers and builders would highly recommend glass on both sides. Particularly in the cockpit .  Okoume crushes easily without a glass sheathing . Once you ding  it or otherwise then it becomes easy for water rot to set into the fibers. At the very very least you absurdly must glass the inside of your cockpit.

Pete

Absolutely not absurdly.

P.

I dunno PP. Seems to me if a thing is worth doing, it's worth doing absurdly. ;-)

Old Yeller

3mm or 4mm is not material for a 10' rec boat.  3mm is fine (unless you are 225 lbs or plan to use the boat in surf or whitewater, in which case, you have selected an entirely unsuitable boat, though 3mm might still be fine). No additional 'glass is needed, build on per plans and enjoy the light boat......

Thanks for the help. everyone.

So basically, I can do it out of 3mm as long as I glass both sides. 

Should I use 3mm Sapele or 3mm Okoume?  Is there a difference in strength between the two?

I've found sapele more brittle than okoume.

As far as glassing is concerned, keep in mind that 6-oz does not finish out as clear as 4-oz. 6-oz is better for painted boats, not varnished ones.

6-oz will also soak up 50% more resin than 4-oz, so the price differential can be significant, depending on the size of the boat.

Laszlo

"3mm or 4mm is not material for a 10' rec boat."

What do you mean by this zcar? 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.