rudder for Pax 18?

I picked up a neglected Pax 18 at a yard sale and have just about finished "finishing" it.  I took it out to the lake for a premature test before I got any varnish on it.  I am athletic but I am NOT an experienced paddler, so needless to say this is a tough boat to turn.  Has anyone put a rudder on a Pax?  

Related,  the builder didnt put the hatch on the aft deck, nor did he install any thing else on the deck at all.  If I chose to install a rudder on the Pax will I also need to install a hatch to access the cables?

Sparhawk

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: rudder for Pax 18?

G'Day Sparhawk.

I have a Pax 20 surfski. it has an understern rudder and I added a rear hatch so that I could access the rudder lines. You will need to add a hatch to run rudder olines. Another option is to cut access holes in the rear deck, run lines and cover up hole/s.

I did this on an old surfski that I restored. Cut some large slots either side in the rear deck and  then covered over with some timber and added bungee lines.

Rudders are actually used to keep kayaks tracking on a straight course rather than turning. Long water line boats such as the Pax and surfskis are designed to go fast in one direction. They are not great turners.

cheers 

"Rudders are actually used to keep kayaks tracking on a straight course rather than turning."

Good insight.  I might just have to learn how to make the most of this boats capabilities the way it is.  Thanks for that info.

Sparhawk

first of all how much do you weigh? that boat suits a light paddle, second of all the pax boats are made to go straight ,i had the 20 and it was like turning a train. i put a rudder on my pax 20 [mostly because i was using the skeg wrong] you might need to play arond with the mounting because the stern is so low in the water . my sugestion is just get used to using the paddle in the extend position for sharp turns

I echo all the above.  I paddled a Pax 20 for seven years always with the skeg down to eliminate weather cocking.  Stay in the lakes and not in the rivers.  It's fun to go t straight and fast.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.