Chester yawl seats.

I am gettind down to assembling the seats and have just realized that they are just stools and are not anchored down which leaves me with some questions. 

1) Are there any problems with stability (do they want to move around?

2) Will they mar clear finished floorboards.

3) Any good solutions?

Thanks in advance. 

Mike.

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Chester yawl seats.

Hi -

I also buit a chester yawl and there are no problems with stability using the seat.

It allows adjustments to suit your arm length to the oars / lighter than a fixed seat / can be removed for laying out flat in the boat for a nap...

As for the floorboards, they are gonna get scuffed up from a lot more than the rowing seat over time. i painted mine and added some non-skid to the paint. very durable over the last couple of years plus I like the contrast of color (sort of a putty..) against the brightwork of the varnished planks.

Now I see that CLC offers an adhesive non-skid pad especially for the Chester & other models - 

Thank you for your reply. I will probably take your advice about painting the floorboards and adding the non skid. I think I will see if I can come up with some leather feet for the seats as well.

All the best.

Mike.

Hi. I am getting ready to epoxy the planks together and all line up great except #6 the top plank. The plans call for 5 and seven sixteenths of the straight line, but the scarf joint allignment is off by quite a bit. The joint would line up much more nicely at about 5 and three quarter off the straight line. Did anyone else have a problem with plank #6?

Mine went together per the dimensions on the plans and formed a beautiful hull. I do recall that the planks were tortured some what to form the bow but once they found their place, a miricle happened.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.