Installed or used a Anderson mini self bailer before

As anyone installed or used a  Anderson mini self bailer before in a Nor’easter dory?

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Installed or used a Anderson mini self bailer before

I once owned a (wonderful) Wayfarer with an Andersen bailer.  It worked great under certain conditions - you need to be moving very quickly for the necessary vacuum to build to suck the water out while on the water.  Not sure a Northeaster dory will be fast enough for the physics.  I plan on a simple drain plug to let water out on land when cleaning the dory.

I have a Sunfish that a previous owner installed a Anderson mini self bailer  in.  Like the previous poster said you need to be moving very quickly for it to suck the water out.

Super Suck Bailers from Sea Sure have a much lower minimum operating speed but they are kind of pricey at $200.

I have a mini installed in my merry shell (Wayland Marine).  It works well to remove the water while in storage and underway.  The only issue I have had is is a bit worn and will not stay in the "bail" position for very long.

I purchased a Holt Allen A4555 to install in my NE Dory.  It seems better built than the Anderson/Elvstom bailer, but I have yet to install it.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.