Best way to secure my dory to its new trailer

So, I sail a lot but it's with a club so I've never needed to trailer a boat.  I just assembled my trailex and attached a hitch to my car.  What is the best way to secure the boat to the trailer?  I've seen straps and I assume people use the painter but any detailed hints would be appreciated.  Thanks!

E

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Best way to secure my dory to its new trailer

Which Trailex trailer model do you have?  I've seen pix of the dory on two models, but one - with bunks - seems preferred.  I will soon begin painting my own dory so a trailer is just around the corner.  I hope to utilize straps and avoid reliance on the painter.  Thanks.

Look on page 56 of the new catalog (available on line here!) and you'll see my Dory on a Trailex SUT-250. I added an extra set of tiedowns to the trailer so I have two straps over the boat there and one over the bow. I don't use the painter to tie it off to the trailer but you can. I use a line from the forward oarlocks to the trailer. I've gone to Maryland and back from Florida at 70 mph and the boat stayed with me!

George K

I was confused a bit myself so I called CLC and they told me the 200 was correct.  I'm wondering now if I should have gone up a size but I figured I might as well trust the guy on the phone.  So 2 or 3 tie downs ought to be enough to hold the dory in place?

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.