Glassing a lapstrake hull

Can the entire lapstrake hull be glassed or just those portions below the water line?  Construction photo's seem to show only the bottom most portions are actually glassed so, I assume, those above the water line are merely epoxied?

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Glassing a lapstrake hull

On the outside of the hull usually only the bottom panel is glassed. The rest of the panels get epoxy only. Inside the boat gets glass on the bottom and bilge panels. Epoxy the rest. 

George K

George,

Thanks.  I'm assuming the glass simply won't make the turns at each lap making a glassing operation a nightmare.

Paul

I built the Skerry.  The bottom and the first strake are glassed on that boat, not just the bottom piece of wood.

Paul,

Wing is correct, on the Skerry the bottom and bilge panels are glassed. Same is true for the Wherry and the NE Dory. Bottom only for the Passagemaker and Eastport prams. I should've asked which you're building. And you're right about the glass not making the bend on the rest of the panels. You could glass each one separately, cutting the glass the width of each one. It isn't necessary and would add some weight. 

George K

George,

Just finished a Wood Duck 12 hybrid and am merely contemplating my next build.  The WD turned out so much better than I could have imagined that I continually think about the next project!

Thanks for the responses.....

Paul

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.