17 LT start up

Hey all!

Im plan-building a chesapeake 17LT.

What's the best? cut up the 4x8' sheets and scarf the long thin blanks together  (16, 5 feet long) than mark all the offsets and start sawing?

Or mark up all offset in on the seperate sheets, saw the out and than scarf the together? I guess the 2nd option doesnt make much sense does it?

Than i have another question. Im having trouble interpeting the plans stations/dimensions..in the plans offsets drawing the look at the transition from station 8 to 9 the dimensions seem to skip the 1-1/4" scarf? Station 8 stops at the RH dashline indicating the scarf, but from this line measuring towards station 9 makes it also 12" from this RH dashline to station 9..so what are the two dashlines indicating? I would assume the LH line indicates the end the "middle" sheet, and the RH dashline indicates the end of the "forward"/bow sheet. But measuring from the LH dashline to the station 9 line measures over 12" (allthough the drawing is on scale).. Looking at the image showing all panels marked up on the ply-sheets, I see that station 8 till 9 is excatly 12" and not 12" + 1-1/4 for the scarf..same goes for station line 7 till 8 (end of the first bow-blank..)

I'm affraid i'll end up with a 17LT minus 1-1/4 instead of good 17LT measuring 16'11"...:)

somebody help:)

Thnx Andrew (Holland)

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: 17 LT start up

I scarf sheets and then do all the drawing & cutting. Easier and more accurate.

If I'm interpreting your second question correctly, it sounds like this would only be a concern if you are trying to lay out your offsets before scarfing panels together. If you're scarfing first and then laying out (the correct method), you can ignore the scarf and just lay out your offsets at 12" intervals - regardless of where the scarf joint falls.  

I think you might be overthinking it.  The two plywood panels overlap by 1 -1/4" as you stated, but that doesn't mean all the stations can't be 12" apart. The 1-1/4" scarf falls within one of the 12" segments, it doesn't lengthen that segment (nor should it). It might be confusing because the scarf joint happens to fall with one of the edges right on a station (RH edge on station 8), but that's because the first panel is exactly 8' long.

Thanks a lot! I guess that's that sorted..sounds good! Getting started:)

thnx Andrew

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.