Choosing a boat for someone with back problems

Hi all, unfortunately I suffer from some back problems that make sitting down all the time nonstop really tough on my back. I was looking for a small vessel mostly for saltwater coastline fishing off the coast of california, and was looking for a light vessel, thats easy to 1 man cartop and that would also allow me to occasionally kneel or even stand up on occasion in calm waters

I was thinking of building a trimaran/sailrig but don't know the ideal base. The mill creek 13 seemed somewhat ideal because its light at 40 lbs, stable base, and open cockpit. Other thoughts were maybe the shearwater customized a bit for a larger cockpit, or maybe the wood duck or even a modified nymph 12 or sassafras 12?

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Choosing a boat for someone with back problems

I feel your pain, this was the main reason I chose the Wood Duck. It is light but most important for me there is ample room to change the angle of my back. We have rented many models over the years but all the cockpits were too small for me to change positions in. Sit on tops are ok for an hour then the trip becomes painful. If the back is really complaining I can recline and put my legs up on the deck or... (this is when the angels sing) I can even lay down inside her and straighten it out!!

I don't use a normal seat for obvious reasons but have a marine bean bag cushion filled with styrofoam beads. It's not attached so it moves with me and when we get out of the boats to rest I have a seat. Very happy with it.

HTH, Bob

The Wood Duck and Shearwater Sport both give you roomy cockpits, but you should not stand up in any kayak unless you are ready for a swim.

I can tell you from experience, as a person with a ruptured disk in my lower back, that paddling - if done properly - is very good for reducing back pain. If you paddle by rotating your torso, and not just by using your arms, you strengthen your abs and glutes, which support your back. You can also do that all day without getting as tired.

Rowing, on the other hand, is probably the worst exercise you can do if you have back problems.

Hope this helps - Wes

appreciate the advice. I was hoping that by adding the sailrig it would be stable enough to stand up in. My concern is not so much with the paddling but rather the constant sitting for hours out there fishing. Has anyone ever pulled off a Millcreek 13 trimaran or a Sectional Shearwater Trimaran?

tach

I too have back issues.  Can't sit for long periods of time.  I have a Mill Creek 13 and love all the room.  I sit on a gel seat and have a piece of foam for a back.   Also getting in and out is a snap.  Getting in, I stand in ankle deep water, then bring the boat in between my legs then just sit down.   What really helps is its so easy to put my legs on top and really stretch out while out in the boat.  I have never stood up in it but the boat is really stable.  I can load and unload my self, finished weight is 37lbs.   Good luck

Lance

I'm currently building a WD12, and John recommended this boat as ideal for using with the Sailrig.  My Sailrig is on order right now, and until it's built I can't comment with certainty on it's stability, but with the width of the beam (approx. 10 feet) I should think that occasionally standing up shouldn't be a problem.  

Yes, my back does give me some problem after long drives and  working on an erk. Is the Wherry a poor choice?

Richard

Richardo,

I have a bad back and a Wherry. I actually find I have more problems with my neck (from scanning my surroundings periodically) than with my back. I think the key to rowing pain free is proper form and not overdoing it. Everybody is different of course so I can only speak to what works for me. The wherry is a great workout, an easy build, and an eye turner everywhere you go. It is also very stable and you can stand up if you're careful about it. On the other hand, compared to most kayaks, it's not particularly light. I transport atop a pickup with 2 load bars and am able to move it around on my own using a boat dolley but at around 100 lbs fully outfitted, it can be a handful.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.