Fiberglass chines

The last time I built a dory I put a line of fiberglass/epoxy tape over the outside chines. When the boat was finished you could still see the line where the epoxy ended. I want to prevent that on the next boat. What is the best way to finish the boat so that you cannot see where the tape and epoxy ended? Would doing a better job sanding and primering prevent this? Thanks

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Fiberglass chines

Yes, more sanding will do it, but there is an easier way. Fiberglass tape has bound edges. Instead of tape, cut strips of cloth on the bias. Then mask off the area you want to glass, glass onto but not beyond the masking tape, and when the epoxy is dry to the touch but still soft, run a knife along the taped edge and strip off the tape. The resulting edge will be nearly invisible and easy to sand smooth. -Wes

Thanks Wes,

I try to use as little epoxy as possible so I don't want to do the entire hull. Admittedly I did not spend as much time sandin and prepping on that first project. It turned out nice but I hated seeing that line.

And if you want a really easy way to cut fiberglass cloth on the bias (or any other direction of course), use one of those rolling cutters that you can get at a sewing or quilting shop.  I had one for a quilting project I was working on and it cuts the fiberglass cloth like a dream - no snagging on scissors or cutting crooked because the cloth moves while you're maneuvering the scissors (it's very stretchy on the bias)

KathyD is right on! I've been using one of these cutters for so long it did not even occur to me to mention it. A straitedge holds the cloth in place while cutting.

Olfa or Fiskers rotary cutter, recomend the Olfa,it's safer, the blades are really sharp.

Thanks to all for the advice. I think I'm ready to give it a try.

Instead if sanding the ridge, use a scraper. If it is still visible, apply some epoxy and micro-baloons for a filler. Scrape and sand... lightly. If it will be painted, it will be invisible.

> I try to use as little epoxy as possible so I don't want to do the entire hull.

Are you not sealing the entire hull with epoxy before painting or varnishing?

Keith

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.