Northeaster Deck Rigging differences between Lug and Sloop Sails

I am preparing to build the Northeaster Dory.  I think I am going to select the Lug Rig option over the Sloop configuration. However, both have there uses and I would love to potentially use both configurations.  I learned and enjoy sailing a sloop rigging with a Jib sail.  However, the Lug Rig appears to be more compatible with a combination of rowing and sailing.

Is the configuration of the deck hardware (cleats, eye straps, harkens, pullies, cam cleats, etc.) relatively similar.  Can the deck hardware allow either type of rigging (Sloop or Lug).

I am also curious if the configuration includes Fore, side, and back stays?  Most other dingy class boats of this size requires stays to stabilize the Main Mast?

There are times when one rigging configuration may be preferable over the other.

Thanks.

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Northeaster Deck Rigging differences between Lug and Sloop Sails

You are correct in that the lug rig makes switching between rowing and sailing a lot easier. The main reason for this is the fact that for the lug rig the mast is unstayed and therefore can easily be unstepped and layed down while rowing.

Check out John Harris' blog on the "lug nuts" which will provide you with a great perspectiv. John is a strong proponent of the lug rig and explains why.

The lug rig is very simple and does not have any of the fixin's for a stayed mast. The main sheet will have a different attachment point.

I have a lug rig on my passagemaker dinghy and could not be happier with the choice. 

For upwind sailing, a stayed mast with jib would probably let you point a tad better but not by much if the lug sail is set correctly and on this type of boat that should not really be a determining factor. In my book versatility trumps that consideration.

Cheers!

Chris

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.