peeler skiff center seat support

after watching my 4 yr. old grandson jumping on the front edge of the center seat I realized it was necessary to install an angled support member from beneath the seat stiffener to the bulkhead at floor level. Now it is solid as a rock

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: peeler skiff center seat support

Has the 3/4" x 1-1/2" cleat (Page 66) been installed yet?  My rickety 40 y.o. carcass can jump up and down on the front edge of the center seat and it's like bedrock.  

Yes it's been installed and fully filleted

John

Did you fiberglass the mid seat top with fiberglass before the jumping grandson test?

I step onto mine from dock height without any flexing (at 175 lbs). I was skeptical about the strength without a brace before it was completed but have found it not to be an issue. One good thing, it is an easy fix if you want to add a brace as you will have plenty of extra ply left over from the cnc cut sheets to make it from. Don't forget we like pictures!

Hi Robert,, question:  Didyou use fg cloth on top of the seats? Keep us posted on your launch results. Thanks, Ken.  

Ken

Yes I covered my seats with a layer of fiberglass cloth before installing them and then filled the weave with 2 more coats of epoxy. Remember that I didn't have a building manual so I just did it on my own. I see that the actual Peeler Manual does not call for glassing the seats - just coating them with epoxy. Also, I had lots of fiberglass cloth from other boat  projects left over so running out of material wasn't a problem. I would follow the instructions in the manual if I were to build another Peeler.

Thanks Robert. Your boat is built to last a few lifetimes. I'm interested in how you like your new outboard. I did alot of research on electric power and decided, at this point in time, to use gasoline power. There are just too many negatives with battery weight and available cruising time and of course, speed with the electric. Now I see there is a propane outboard available. Let us know if you think your 15 hp is the right match for the Peeler. I am debating on a 9.9 or 15 for mine. Thanks again for your input.  Ken.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.