Glassing in a sticker instead of fabric?

I've got a cool bumper sticker I'd like to use on my SUP transom.  I guess I could have the design put onto fabric somehow but it sure would be easier to just use the sticker.

Any thoughts on if this is a good or bad idea? 

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Glassing in a sticker instead of fabric?

I think the issue is similar to the reason why woodturners commonly glue a piece of paper inbetween segments of a segmented turning.  When you glue a piece of paper, it provides a separation between the 2 layers on either side and the paper can shred in between them when enough stress is placed on either side.  Fabric would allow the epoxy to go through and get a more solid bond.  Unless after the SUP was finished you added a thin layer of epoxy to secure the sticker and make it waterproof.  That way the sticker isnt in the wet out or build up.  Just my opinion on the matter though.

I've never tried it.  You might want to have a go of it on a test panel.  The preferred method would be to photocopy the sticker design onto acetate film and epoxy over that.  Another obivous option would be just "stick" the sticker on the completed board. 

I imagine the epoxy won't stick very well to the vinyl sticker, which is why you would use a similar material for masking tape. I would just put the sticker on as a sticker. I have vinyl stick on letters on my hull, and they are very well stuck.

Though by using sticker, it looks similar to that, but many people like to use the orignal fabrics material, instead of sticker.

---------------------------------------------------------

Dane Colby
Brand Manager for adult onesies australia
Suite 98
1A 400 King William St
Adelaide, SA 5000

I've had good results turning the CLC sticker into a decoupage.

Kim

Stickers are made of plastic or vinyl, and epoxy doesn't stick to them. Not one bit.  If you put a sticker UNDER fiberglass, the fiberglass won't bond to the wood in that section and will soon blister or lift away, making an ugly wart in the shape of the sticker.

Stickers or vinyl graphics are great ON TOP of the finished fiberglass surface, but forbidden beneath it.  

We've had some success in varnishing over vinyl graphics, which saves us having to replace the graphics every time we refinish the boat or board.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.