Cutting roller covers

Simple question from a naive newbie:  CLC's catalog mentions cutting 9" foam roller covers in half for use on a 4" frame.  What's the best way to do this?  Obviously one doesn't want ragged edges with debris that might end up in the finish. 

Dave

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Cutting roller covers

I've done two ways- 1) using a utility knife, not very clean, hacked up the cut edge of the cardboard tube, and 2) table saw- cleaner cut.  That said, neither method produced any noticeable loose debris that I could see.  Having tried these 2 methods I picture a bandsaw being the best tool for the job, but not having one I could not test my hypothesis.

good luck.

I use a Japanese pull saw, crosscut side AKA Dozuki saw. I have used a hacksaw before I got a Dozuki. If you have a tatered bit, snip it with scissors.

Oh yeah - bandsaw. Did that once: lemme see - reset guide to clear roller, plug it in, eyeball roller perpendicular to blade . . . by now I would have three rollers cut with the pull saw.

I use the pull saw tecnique also, any loose material comes off with a little rolling between the fingers. I cut them into 3" sections though, I'm cheap.

Thanks, guys.  Hadn't thought of the Japanese saw.  I got one when I got my WD2 kit, and I'm loving it.  Think I'll go that way.

Dave

Don't undrstand the comments by hokeyhydro I always use the band saw for stuff like this. I made the saw about 50 years ago, one of the best tools in the shop.

Actually I love my bandsaw. For cutting out all those curved skinny pieces of ply to make up the cockpit coaming and hatch frames for the last two kayaks I built the bandsaw is the only way to fly.  But to do a ropller cover I would need to reset the guide, plug it in and then hit the switch and cut. And listen to the noise. I just think it is easier and surely quieter to grab the Dozuki saw and whack the roller in two.

Just use a utility knife. It takes less time than reading this far into this thread. :-) 

And don't worry about any stray pieces or junk from the edges... You can just tear off any straggler and start rolling. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.