Adding the Kaholo Deck

Hi all,

I've had to take a month off in my Kaholo build due to plumbing and holidays, etc.  Finally last night, I got the entire inside of the hull coated with epoxy.  Now I'm finally ready to put the deck on.  I glassed the underside of the deck a couple months ago now, so I'm sure the epoxy in the weave has cured.

This leads to a question.  I know that between coats on the outside, if the next coat is going on over 24 hours later, the top of the previous coat needs to be sanded to scuff the surface and give the epoxy something to bond to.  Is this also necessary with the epoxy on the underside of the deck before I put it down?  There is some texture from the weave of the fiberglass, but I'm uncertain whether that is enough for the bond, or if I should lightly scuff the top of the weave.  (Wouldn't want to break the glass...)

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

-Matt

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Adding the Kaholo Deck

Hi Matt,

You will need to sand along the edges underneath so that you will get a good mechanical bond with the thickened epoxy that you will apply to the sheer clamps.

Tip for next time, remove all excess resin from unseen areas such as the inside of your Kaholo. Filling the weave adds weight with no strength gains. Just wet out and you are good to go.

cheers

I did only wet it out.  The weave is not filled which is why I'm a bit worried about sanding it at all.  The fact that the weave is still prominent means that the glass is still right there on the surface, correct?

I'll sand it on the edges to get the mechanical bond to the sheer clamps.  Do I need to figure out where to sand for the bulkheads/stringers, too?

This is my first project using fiberglass, so I'm still learning.  :)

-Matt

Yes, you should sand those areas. 

I misinterpreted your first post, and thought you had added fill coats. 

Cheers

Actually, a 3M green scrubber pad and lots of water will wash the feared amine blush of cured epoxy and you're good to go for glue up. On my last couple kayak decks (strip built) I did give the inside a quick #80 grit whisk after the wash, then rolled on a coat of epoxy, but the interior of most of the deck will be exposed to human activity = hands and feet - so I wanted a fairly smooth surface.

On my Kaholos I just 3M green pad scrub/washed, dried, rolled epoxy, squirted thicked goo on the sheers and stringerss and flopped the deck on, tacked her down with staples = done. I cheat - use a air stapler :-)

Actually, a 3M green scrubber pad and lots of water will wash the feared amine blush of cured epoxy and you're good to go for glue up. On my last couple kayak decks (strip built) I did give the inside a quick #80 grit whisk after the wash, then rolled on a coat of epoxy, but the interior of most of the deck will be exposed to human activity = hands and feet - so I wanted a fairly smooth surface.

On my Kaholos I just 3M green pad scrub/washed, dried, rolled epoxy, squirted thicked goo on the sheers and stringerss and flopped the deck on, tacked her down with staples = done. I cheat - use an air stapler :-)

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.