Need advice from those using stain on hulls

I am in the process of building a Shearwater Sport Hybred and have a question regarding the use of stain. I have stained (dyed) the hull sections and am now ready to stitch together. Normally, after stitching, one would create a radius on the joints between the shear panels and the bottom panels. However, even though I have applied a light cover of epoxy over the stain, I am quite certain that creating the radius on the joints would sand right through the stain. So, how does one go about creating rounded joints after having used stain?????

newell

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Need advice from those using stain on hulls

More important than the stain, is the form and structural integrity of your craft.  So I would suggest that you pretend you haven't stained it yet and do whatever sanding / rasping that you need to- then restain the bare spots.

I too have done some staining early in the process (the only time you really have a chance), and have had to go back and touch up.  Still came out as I had hoped (not quite the furniture finish, but so it is).

Pictures always appreciated.

Hickory

What kind of stain are you guys using?  I have heard that epoxy will not work over some types of stain.  Not sure if the guy who told me this knows what he is talking about though. 

I have read that many water based stains are just fine.

I have used "General Finishes" Exterior 450 stain with no problems at all-

http://www.generalfinishes.com/professional-products/water-base-exterior-finishes

The dark brown on this Wherry was stained with their product-

I have been using a water based dye that I got from Lee Valley......

I'm using Behlen Solar-Lux Stain on a CH16 and it's working well.  http://www.guillemot-kayaks.com/guillemot/blog/nick/staining_your_kayak

I followed the steps on the Guillemot site, and am happy so far.  The only change I made was to add denatured alcohol to the same rag I added the stain to as I applied it the first time, and it flowed out on the wood much better.  I did have to go back and sand my puzzle joints and re apply more stain to that wood, but was able to match the rest of the hull pretty well.  With a little patience you can make any parts you have sanded match the rest with good results.

I've got a similar question and I think from reading this I know the answer, but....

My kayak kit sat for a while before I could get started and some of the pieces have sun fade.  And one has a smear of looks to be a type of oil.  And one looks like my dog may have dropped a drool spot that dried.  So, if I want to even this out, apply a thinned version of an alcohol or water based stain or dye before gluing up first puzzle joints, yes?

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.