Using foam roller for epoxy question

I have little experience using a foam roller for unthickeded epoxy.

I see references to "tipping" after rolling. Two questions: do I need to tip all of the epoxied area?    Which is better for tipping: a foam brush or a bristle brush?

Thanks!

RichMPL

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Using foam roller for epoxy question

Look up.  Click on Tips for Boatbuilders.

Used cheap small diamater disposable rollers from my local hardware store through out my build, didnt bother tipping off . had no runs , found them easy to use. and only had a slight roller stipple to sand smooth before the varnish, no probs , use a system that you feel comftorble with, ie sqidgee or roller,

cheers Locky

Tipping is essential when varnishing or painting, but unnecessary with epoxy. In my experience building three kayaks, the cheap black foam rollers can shed pieces of foam that spoil the epoxy, so I always use the more pricey yellow foam rollers. I buy the bigger sizes and cut them in half. -Wes

I use black foam rollars, no problem. But the rollars have a shiny finish on the inside of the roll inste4ad of bare cardboard. Also I need to wrap a couple layers of tape arouind the rollar hub because the black rollars are loose. Not sure what the black rollars are for but I get them at an actual paint store, like Duron or Sherwin Williams.

I tip off first coat of epoxy because it will no doubt have tiny bubbles, outgas, so I lightly brush over the new epoxy with a bristle brush. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.