epoxy coats

Just for clarification: 

On the Passagmaker the strakes receive 2 coats of resin sanding between coats prior to assembly. (Also transoms, bulkheads etc.

No mention of sanding between the additional  two coats after application of fiberglass cloth.  So does that mean applying cloth, cure, then two more coats over entire hull without sanding between coats? 

Seems to me you would take the same care to dull down coat prior to application of another?? 

Thanks 

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: epoxy coats

BB, I don't know a thing about the Passagemaker nor have I read your manual but I'll go out on a limb here. The reason for sanding between coats is to insure a bonding of the coats to each other. The tiny gouges left by the sanding let the new coat 'key' into the previous one. When filling the weave of fabric the weave itself will give the new coat a 'key'. There is a time factor for each brand of epoxy, and I think 24 hours is a general rule, when the new coat will bond with the old chemically negating the need for sanding. So if you can apply your filler coats within 24 hours of each other you're golden, if not then let the weave lock the new coat in - better than sanding the weave down between coats.

Hope that makes sense. Luck!

RE: epoxy coats

I find the first coat onto bare ply raises the grain, and it needs smoothing before the second (a cabinet scraper works well). After that, as sskiff says, if you get the new coats on quick, no sanding needed. If it's gone off more than that, you'll need a physical key, and a very good wash down to get rid of any amine bloom.

After the last coat, sand it for a week or two...

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.