winding sticks

Please explain to a novice,, what a winding stick is and how it is used. Thanks.

11 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: winding sticks

I learned to sail 65 years ago, and have been building boats almost as long, but never heard of a winding stick. -Wes

Robert Meyer talks about them with his Peeler build. I think they are for checking for hull twist but not really sure???

you beat me to that question!  I did a quick search and got some info.  Not sure why a good level or straight edge is not the same.  Hope someone can clarify.

Here is a photo of winding sticks showing their use.

You can make your own sticks easily - paint each stick a contrasting color so that they show any twist of the hull when sighted.

Ahh!  Now I got it!  Thanks! 

I'll be darned. I use that technique on every boat but never knew it had a name. Unless you have eye problems or bad lighting, any old straight sticks will do, though. They don't need to be contrasting colors. -Wes

I use plain old sticks and set them a couple feet from the bow and stern - square them to hull centerline, and then duck & squint to see if they line up. If not, then I "wind" the hull - as in counter-twist it until the sticks line up. Do this before you tack glue! 

I used the skids that came with my Peeler kit as winding sticks. (just make sure they are absolutely straight with no warp in them - mine were) I usually just use whatever cut offs are at hand. Be sure to take many different sights bow to stern. I did paint up some contrasting sticks one time - but found they had warped on me next time I needed them.

I have a question on the subject. If the work base is not 100% level but the (comparison) winding sticks match up,, is that ok??? Should a bubble be part of the test to check that things are level too? I guess if your work base is level all is good. I answered my own question. Thanks everyone for your comments and help and have a Happy New Year.  Ken (klitz)

Ken,

Nothing needs to be level. You are comparing one part of the boat to another part of the boat, with no relation to the floor or building base.

-Wes

CLC Tips For Boatbuilders covers this subject.

http://www.clcboats.com/shoptips/stitch_glue/checking_twist.html

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.