Eastport: Extra hole in the forward thwart

The bow seat of my Eastport kit has an approx. 1/4" hole next to the mast opening, but there's nothing on the plans or prints about it's purpose . . .  since I'm about to plane the seat to fit the bow, I was wondering if it matters which side is up and whether that hole is port or starboard of the mast . . .:-)

Thanks!

Dan

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Eastport: Extra hole in the forward thwart

I'll let the experts give the definitive explanation, but I thinking that is a guide hold for the main halyard since the cleat for the main is below seat level.  Not sure that it matters port or starboard.

Check the running rigging layout for confirmation.

RE: Eastport: Extra hole in the forward thwart

That hole is usually for a downhaul or halyard on other boats but the Eastport pram uses two cleets, one on the aft of the mast and one on either the left or right. Doesn't matter which side. There isn't one attached to the mast under the seat or you couldn't remove the mast. Check the back of the manual on rigging the boat. If the hole isn't used you might want to fill it in with thickened epoxy. If it is used make sure to liberally coat the inside of the hole with epoxy to prevent water from gettin in the plywood. 

George K

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.