Skerry rudder jam cleat

I couldn't find this anywhere on the Forum, but I am having a problem with the rudder jam cleat on my Skerry.  It turns out that the hole for the release line is so high that the only place to mount the jam cleat is below the hole.  The drawing in the manual shows it above the hole, but I tried every way I could think of to put the parts together and the only way they would fit together logically places the hole an inch or less below the tiller--too short for the cleat.

The way I had to mount the cleat, the release line bends around the bottom of the hole and enters the cleat from the top (cleat is upside-down).  This makes it very difficult to release the rudder.  If I release the line and let go, it simply drops back into the cleat and jams again.  I have to reach down and grab the rudder while holding the line up, then pull the rudder up and let go the line.

I'm thinking of re-mounting the cleat sideways on the side of the rudder, just below the tiller, on the port side.  Then when I release the line, this should allow the line to stay free of the jam area so the rudder can come up on its own in shallow water.

Has anyone else had this problem?   I'm wondering if there is some other way I should have assembled the rudder parts so the cleat could fit above the release-line hole, but I cannot see what that would be.

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Skerry rudder jam cleat

Well, it won't fit on the side.  What I think I'll do if no one replies is mount it to the top of the tiller.

Duck, I have a photo of a jam cleat attached to the rudder.  I haven't started with those components if my Skerry yet but this looks like it would work. If you reply to me at [email protected] I'll send you the photo. I think I got it somewhere on this site.  

I've bought a smaller cleat from West Marine and mounted it above the tiller arm, then drilled a hole through the tiller arm for the rope to go through.  I can't readily find a good photo but you can kind of see the hole in this picture: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-RF8CZHLcI2w/Tj8dgFwvhUI/AAAAAAAAAtE/Fa6ILo18p_4/s400/IMG_20110807_191032.jpg.

Mihai

It's curious that such a detail hasn't been corrected on a boat that has been available for as long as the Skerry has. I'm open to any ideas on how to do mine.

Thanks to everyone for your help.  I ordered the Harken Cam-Matic Wire Fairlead from CLC, which had the best price I could find (search term: cam cleat).  I like it because it has a small wire fairlead that will keep the line within reach when it is not in the cleat. 

Mihai's idea of drilling a hole for the line would work well too, and you wouldn't need the fairlead, but I had already ordered the cleat before reading the post.

I will install a small riser above the tiller arm so the line clears it.  The riser would be sort of like the one pictured below, but not as elaborate, just a flat piece of wood will suffice.

jam cleat

Harken cam cleat with fairlead came and it works very nicely.  It is installed on top of the tiller yoke, immediately starboard of the post.  It is overkill, though.  For one thing I didn't know until it came in that it is a bit on the large side--Harken and others sell smaller ones that are cheaper I am sure.

Also, John Harris pointed out that they installed the plastic cleat on the bottom of the yoke and it is easy to reach and works well--gravity pulls the line away from the cleats jaws as soon as you release it.  This would be by far the least expensive way to solve the problem. 

I like the functionality of the cam cleat though, even though it cost me $50 with shipping.  It works very smoothly.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.