Kaholo standup 14

Does anyone have experance with Polyester Resin? I am looking at using this on the exterior of the SUP. I would use Expoy Resin for the interior. I alredy know some pros and cons.

Pros; UV resistant - more scratch restant finish - no need to put a clear coat over but can gelcoat - faster cure time -  

Con; needs to be at 65 degrees of hoter to apply - more toxic fumes - short working time - won't stick to epoxy fillers - 

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Kaholo standup 14

Depending on the epoxy base it may not stick well to the epoxy with out using a "tie" coating.

We use this at work.  It is highly toxic use high qualiity respirators if you use it, and glove up it also tends to smell foul even in small quantities.

I built a 12-6 Kaholo from the plans for the 14 footer.  I used the same frames and only scaled length/longitudinal dimensions.  The proportions are very nice and I would do it again.

This summer I saw a little boy, about 6-8 years SUPing a 12 foot board.  He had a blast and had no problem with the 12 foot board.

Used numerous gallons of polyester back in the day - now I wouldn't touch a jug of polyester with your 10' pole.

Sorry - I wouldn't even consider using polyester on anything.

Keith

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.