tying sails to Skerry spars

I tried several knots from Reed's to lash the sails to the spars on a Skerry and found they were either too bulky or did not stay tied well on the slick synthetic lines.  What seemed to work best for me was just a simple overhand knot, knotting both ends of the line at once.  Wish I could draw a picture, but I simply held the two ends together, made a loop with both lines and passed the ends through the loops.  This is simple, compact, and seems to be secure so far.

Is there a recommended knot for this purpose that I don't know about?

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: tying sails to Skerry spars

Is this your knot? If so, it's called a double overhand knot.

Laszlo

Another possibility is to lace your sails instead of tying a knot at each grommet. This will spread out the load over more rope and keep any one piece from being overstressed.

Laszlo

Thanks for your two submissions Laszlo.  My knot stops at step 1, so it is a simple overhand knot.  I did not make a second passthrough as shown in step 2, the double overhand.

I think your second submission shows a much better way to attach the sails.  It not only evens out the load, but should go much quicker.  I plan to buy more line and properly lace the sails very soon.

RE: tying sails to Skerry spars ? Stump Laszlo??

Laszlo does it again.

I propose a contest.  Is there a question Laszlo does not have the answer to, (politics and religion excluded, just kidding) A CLC boat question?

I have 2 kayaks but enjoy just reading about the other things that come up.

Thanks again Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.