How do I make a planing guide???

I'm building a 17lt and wanted to know how to make a planing guide for planing down my shear clamps. I don't have my manual with me so I'm not shure on the raduis now, but for example lets say its a 24" radius. Can I measure a piece of string 24" , nail it to a piece of ply and then trace the radius with a pencil, and then cut the rest of the shape out to resemble the planing guide that comes with in the kits?

Also in the "kit contents" for the 17lt  I see a picture of two planing guides that come with the kit. I was under the assumption that the one planing guide is used both for and aft on the shear clamps on the 17lt. is this right??

Thanks in advance for all the help, Justin

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: How do I make a planing guide???

That's exactly how you make a planing guide. There are two radii to be planed, the first is from the deck beam forward and will be somewhere around 16" (I can't find my plans at the moment as it's been a few years.) The second radius is from the bulkhead at the rear of the cockpit aft and is around 24" in the cockpit area there is a rolling bevel that ties the two together. Don't let that part scare you, it's actually pretty fun watching the two different bevels join. Just take your time and try to make both sides match. 

George K

RE: How do I make a planing guide???

Thanks George!!!!!!!!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.