Cedar strip color & staples vs clamps vs brad nails vs ???

1. First question: What is the best way to tell the finished color of the cedar strips to help determine the pattern?
  2. Second: What is the best way (or pros & cons) of attaching the cedar strips to the forms while gluing them together?

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Cedar strip color & staples vs clamps vs brad nails vs ???

You could wet strips with alcohol to get a color shade preview.  I just mix them up rather than attempt a match - think random is prettier. I prefer clamps like the ones in Randy Folsoms book. Kind of slow going but no staple holes.

The U clamps that Nick uses are fine for getting a strip in place, but the real secret is the masking tape that he puts between the clamps.  That brings the strips tightly together.  Put a strip on one side and then move to the other side.  By the time you finish the second strip, you can remove the U clamps and tape and start another strip.  Watch his video on stripping the bottom of the hull to see the process.

I have found that staple holes are barely noticeable in dark-colored cedar-they look almost like a "natural feature-but much more noticeable in light-colored wood.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.