Rice paper transfer and designs, I'm clueless

Hey Folks,

I couldn't find anything on a search here and the net is no help either. I've seen threads here about it and am hoping someone will have some direction for me.

I would like to try a design on rice paper to put in a WD I'm building for my nephew. I'm thinking about a silhouette of a Blue Crab with 'built for' above it and his name below. No luck so far in finding a design to copy and haven't the computer skills to create one. How are you folks getting the image from your head to the paper?

I plan to put the design on the forward face of the rear bulkhead between coats of epoxy.

Thanks, Bob

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Rice paper transfer and designs, I'm clueless

Unless you are an artist, you have to find an image online that you can print on the rice paper and than lay that down with your first coat of epoxy.   Lots of wedsite out there with clip art and such so you just have to look for what you want.   A crab shouldn't be hard to find.

Thanks Klaver, I had never heard of clip art before, you're right there are crabs all over the place!

I found it best to tape the rice paper to regular paper and run it through the printer. Remember to use mirror image so the ink is facing down when you wet it out. If you find a picture you like and it isn't perfectly black and white you can trace or draw with sharpie and then photocopy it onto the ricec paper.

After printing, I suggest cutting your rice paper in a "cloud" shape.  Straight cuts make the transfer more noticable.

Also, suggest printing a mirror image and placing the rice paper upside down.  In this manner, you will decrease the likelihood of smearing the toner or ink.

This forum is great!

Thanks for all the advice, really helps.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.