Ganymede - how much fiberglass do I need?

I am building the Ganymede from plans and this is my first boat, I need to know how much fiberglass I need to cover the boat.  I also want to put in hatches and bulkheads fore and aft.  Do you have any suggestions for the location of the hatches and bulkheads?

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Ganymede - how much fiberglass do I need?

I installed bulkheads in the Ganymede that my daughter built from plans and highly recommend them for safety reasons. I did not add hatches, however, not wanting to mess those gorgeous decks. Instead I put access ports in both bulkheads. Photos and description at http://twofootartist.com/ganymede-construction-notes/

As for the fiberglass, I just pulled it off the rolls I had on hand and didn't measure, so I can't help you there. As I recall, we used 4 oz. on the deck inside and out, and 6 oz. on the outside of the hull, but only on the seams inside.

-Wes

RE: Ganymede - how much fiberglass do I need?

Looking back over my notes, it appears that we fully glassed the inside of the hull too, but I don't remember what weight we used.

This is a terrific design, by the way, and performs far better than you might expect from such a simple hull.

-Wes

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.