Block plane review by Fine Woodworking. The winners are...

Finewoodworking, perhaps the best woodworking/furniture making magazine, tested 11 different block planes and reported results in this months issue (Oct 2012 - Yeah, I know its only July) available on newstands. The winners...

• Lie Nielsen 102 - Best overall and best value. $102. 
  • Lie Nielsen 60 1/2 - Best overall. $165. Bigger than 102 and has adjustable mouth
  • Veritas DX60 - Best overall. $185 Has an unusual shape that looks very comfortable to hold
  • Veritas Low Angle - Best overall. $140. Also looks quite comfortable. 

I have two block blanes from Lie Nielsen, the low angle 102 and the standard angle 103. Both are bronze, superb to use and feel great in the hand. I have 15 handplanes, all Lie Nielsen except one older stanley. They are all excellent planes. 

Michael

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Block plane review by Fine Woodworking. The winners are...

I've owned four Lie-Nielsen planes, three of which were stolen.  The fourth lives on my mantel.  They're a treat to use.

RE: Block plane review by Fine Woodworking. The winners are...

I have a LN 60 1/2. There is something almost Zen about using it, when it is sharpened to perfection, the feel, the sound, the interesting shavings that you get.  I planed the edge of some maple and the shavings came off looking like lace.  Their tools are heirloom, and certainly worth the price.  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.