Fiberglassing the inside of pram

Hi boat builders, I am building the Eastport Pram, and have fibreglassed the bottom of the boat.  I found this a bit tricky to do since I was brushing the epoxy, starting in the very middle and out towards the edges.  A slow process but it turned out well.  No sags, no wrinkles, and pretty even coating with few shiny spots.  Drips went where I wanted them too, and I could easily control where the fabric was going down.

It is one thing to do the outside, where the cloth can easily drape over the boat, but I suspect doing the inside will be much trickier since it is not flat. How do you get nice coverage without creasing the fabric? That stuff is surprisingly fragile when it is not coated, and tends to snag and unravel.

Any words of wisdom, tips or tricks to share?

thanks,

Barbara

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Fiberglassing the inside of pram

Don't use a brush.  Instead use the yellow hard rubber squeegie.  Do a section of the center flat center panel first, then work up the sides from the bottom, bringing the epoxy up the sides.  The squeegie keeps things nice and flat, and avoids having too much epoxy coating the fiberglass

RE: Fiberglassing the inside of pram

When i did the inside of my pram, I turned the boat so the sides layed flat. this way i had more control of the epoxy. The glass layed flat and didn't keep falling in my work.  Good luck, take your time and use a squeegie . alot of patience at this step and less sanding later on. Most important have fun.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.