Cane seat in Sassafras 12?

I'd like to put the "folding cane seat" in my still-to-be-built Sassafras 12. It will fit side to side, but the customer service guy thinks it might be too high off the hull and raise my center od gravity. It would be a shame to build this beautiful wood canoe and not have a cane seat. Any thoughts?

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Cane seat in Sassafras 12?

Just looking at the pictures in the catalog, it appears to me that the folding cane seat would sit lower than the standard kit seat.  If not, perhaps you could modify the folding seat to get the seating surface right down near the bottom of the boat.  I'd go back to CLC with some more questions.

Good luck,

PAG

OK.  So I should read before I write.  I was looking at the Sassafras 16.  I now see that the standard seat for the 12 is the kayak tractor seat which does put your read about 1" above the bottom of the boat.  That said, it still may be possible to get the folding cane seat lower than is standard by modifying the side supports.  This I still believe should be discussed with CLC.

PAG

Not sure about the cane seat part (I would always lean toward comfort over looks) but I do have the Sassafras 12 and whatever you decide to go with I would make sure it is sitting on or very near the bottom.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.