Hatches with fiberglass lip, do I need a seal?

I have followed Nick instructions on making hatches on my Night Heron with the fiberglass lip and epoxy, but do I now need some sort of seal? 

I don't think there is room for a foam seal (the weather stripping that came with my boat kit), and if I put the foam in to seal the lip, wouldn't that push the hatch up so it would no longer be flush with the rest of the deck?

Your help is greatly appreciated,

Chris

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Hatches with fiberglass lip, do I need a seal?

I haven't built one of Nick's designs, but, yes the foam seal will have the hatch sticking up a bit when you initially install the hatch. I did flush hatches on a chesapeake 18 and that was the case. But, the seals compress and after a few hours, you will probably find the hatches flush. That's been my experience with flush hatches. And, yes, you need some sort of seal. I'm sure others will pipe in this. 

Dave

RE: Hatches with fiberglass lip, do I need a seal?

Thx Dave,

In Nick's SBSK book, on page 154, he talks about hatch gaskets, are these the directions that I need to follow using the foam that was included in my boat kit?

If so, I guess I'll need to add the seal after I join the deck and hull so the bungees can do there work to pull the hatch flush to the deck!

Thx again Dave!

Any other ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.