Wood Duck Glass

I am building a 12` Wood Duck and I am thinking about glassing the underside of the deck and the whole interior to make it a little stronger and was wondering how much glass to order, and expoy for it.

10 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Wood Duck Glass

Can I ask why you want to do this? It will add plenty of weight, and you would have to some interesting stunts to break through the deck of a standard build.

Ok I am New to Boat building and kayak and want it to be strong and not worry about the rocks once in a whie but if its not needed ill buid it to plan and save on weight any thoughts on wood duck abuse woud be great

I completely glassed my WD12 inside & out and it still came in at less than the target build weight, so it doesn't have to add plenty of weight, especially if you don't fill the inside weave except where you sit.

The easiest way to calculate the cloth is to find glass that's at leat 4 inches wider than the boat and toget 12 12-ft length for the inside of the deck and another for the inside of the hull. You could try piecing it, but that's a pain and doesn't save that much money anyway.

To figure out  how much epoxy & hardener, take the glass in square yards, multiply it by the weight of the glass in ounces, multiply that by .67 and that's how many ounces of resin & hardener combined you'll have to get.

So, for a 12-ft boat that's 24 feet (or 8 yards) of 4 oz glass. The available widths are 30 and 50 inches. 30 is too small so get 50. That gives 11 square yards which multiplied by 4 is 44 which multiplied by .67 is 30 (or so). The 1 quart epoxy kit gives you 48 ounces of resin + hardener, so you should be able to get it done with the 1-quart kit and 8 yards of 50-inch wide 4 oz glass.

Have fun,

Laszlo

That should be "to get 2 12-ft lengths"

Laszlo

My opinion is that one of the best things about building your own boat is the light weight. When loading, unloading, and transporting to the water you will appreciate this. My first build was a cedar strip canoe and I decided to make it just a little extra better and ended up adding about 5 pounds. While  I can still move it around and carry it by myself. I wish I would have left that extra weight off now.

Macklin

I'm just about finished with the Wood Duck I'm building for my husband (applying varnish today) and I completely glassed the interior and can still lift and carry it by myself (and I'm a girl).  I haven't weighted it yet, but I just feel better about having a totally glassed boat even though it's not necessary.  I did the same on my Shearwater 14 and can also carry that one by myself. 

After two seasons (on our third season) of bouncing off rocks in a WD12 (both fresh water and salt water), I am happy to report that other than some visible scratches, no holes or other issues.  I am planning to re-fresh my carbon under hull this summer.

P.S. I do highly recommend kevlar rub strips bow and stern!

did u use the carbon fiber or carbon epoxy coating Ill be using mostly in river but want to try in in some smaller local treams like kish creek but worried about rocks

also was wondering if anyone used the glas fiber for fillets or end pours and how it works and it it stronger

Thanxs to all those who have posted info for me so far I cant wait to get my kit and get started on my build. Lots of good info i was supprised to be answered so quickly. Now where did i put the chain saw

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.