Mill creek 13: deck nails issue

Has anyone run into this problem: after nailing the deck to the hull I found that most of the nails have gone through the shear clamp and now protrude out the other side of the shear clamp. I don't think I planed too much off the clamps prior to installing the deck. But what is done is done. I am planning on getting my dremel tool and trying to grind or cut the excess nail off flush with the underside of the shear clamp. If there is better solution, I would be greatful for any suggestions.  Thank you in advance.

Brian

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Mill creek 13: deck nails issue

Wheatchex1,

After planing the bevel on my 16.5 sheer clamps I noticed the thickness of the deck and sheer was less than the length of the bronze ring nails. Not wanting 132 nails poking out below the deck I trimmed all of the nails 1/8". It did not take that long to trim them and I feel it was worth the trouble.

You should be able to trim them with a dremel cut off wheel rather quickly. Don't forget to coat the bottom with epoxy to seal any bare wood.

Thank you for the input.  I should have measured the nails against the deck and trimmed them like you did.  Could be a suggestion for kit changes to supply shorter nails for future kits.  Last night I ground the nail ends down flush to the underside of the sheer clamp.  Had to go slowly and work several nails at a time due to heating of the nail whilst grinding.  I would have used a cutoff wheel but just couldn't get the dremel tool in at the right angle so I had to use a grinding stone with it.  Had to do this in the cock pit area only as I haven't cut in the hatch openings yet.  The rear should be easier to do but the front may not get all of them done because of the size and location of the opening.  Thank you again.

Brian

I have built 4 MC 13 and have not had this problem.  The nails should be 3/4" long.  The shear clamps are 3/4" plus the thickness of the deck puts the total  thickness at 7/8".  3/4" nails should not protrude thru.  You either had long nails or a short shear clamp.  

Did you put the shear clamp on in wrong direction?  The 3/4" should be virtical.

Lance

I was very careful to put the shear clamp on properly. I don't think I planed all that much off to get the proper angles set. Most of the nails protruded at least an 1/8 to 3/16 out of the shear clamp. I just measured the nails and they are 1" long. If they were 3/4" I probably wouldn't have had this problem. Anyway I had to grind them down so I wouldn't get poked by the points. Hopefully the next person can learn from my mistake and not have to grind the nail points off after installing their deck.

Brian

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.