I finally ordered my kit. It came last week. I thought I'd include build tips as I construct the kit. Some of the tips might also apply to the plans build.
Cardboard shipping box: The plywood parts come in a cardboard box. I've been using the box as a protective covering on the floor for various parts. The top and bottom strech out to about 15' x 4'.
wax paper: Epoxy stickk or go through it. Its MUCH easier to use than plastic wrap. I put wax paper on both sides of the puzzle pieces when I glued them up on my garage floor.
Puzzle pieces: I took a little sand 100 grit paper to all the puzzle joint edges. They fit together easier. I put plywood on top of the wax paper and just piled stuff on top. When the epoxy was set, the surface was smooth from the wax paper. Try to get the puzzle pieces to be flush with each other to minimize sanding.
Epoxy: I'm trying to make the board as light as possible. This means minimizing the epoxy where ever possible. I found using a small stiff bristle bush used for spreading soldering flux to be more suitable for spreading epoxy into the puzzle joints than a 2" brush. In the end, I'm sure I used less epoxy and the joint on the other side had very little spill over. WHen spreading epoxy, I kept skimming over the surface to minimize excess epoxy. Puddles are easy to see if you sight just along to surface into a light (for me, this was looking along the surface towards the outside of my garage door. Puddles will shine. I kept skimming till the puddles disappeared. Everytime I skimmed, I wiped the plastic paddle off on a dry part of the work piece or on a blue paper towel. So far I'm pretty happy with the results. I'll keep posting about new "discoveries" about epoxy as I make them.
Wiring: I found it easier to loosely wire up the sides to the bulkheads and then go back and tighten everything up starting with the bow. Similarly with attaching the bottom to the sides and bulkheads. Also, I found it easier to insert one end of the wire in from the outside of the boat and then thread though the other hole from underneath.
Attaching the bottom to the side: I have some tall sawhorses and mounted the bottom on top of the sides as suggested in the manual. I also have a small garden weeding cart that I can sit on. This worked out well as I could stick my head under the boad between the bulkheads.
Extra wiring: I had to add a few extra pieces of wire to make things tight and symmetric. Even so, a found a couple of the bulkheads just a bit wide. I debated taking them out and trimming but decided it was too marginal to worry about. I did try and make the space on each side the same however.
Tail piece: I found it just a bit too narrow. I'll just sand or plane down to the sides to match the tali stock width. This will cause the deck to curve down a bit in the back by about 1/4" or so. I'm ok with that.
Comments on the manual: The manual should be updated to reflect photos of the current design (not the oder design where the bulk heads are significantly different). Also, on page 9, there's an editor's note telling me that the manual references silica powder but that current kits use Cell-O-Fill. The manual should be updated to replace all references of silica to Cell-O-Fill.
After about 16 hours work, I've got the hull wired up and ready for tack welding which will have to wait about a week when I can get back to it.
That's it for now. I'll keep updating this thread with my observations and comments till the boat is done.