kayak tie downs

SW Sport Hybrid is done and had to get it out of my shop.  Bought racks for the car as the plastic boats could just be tossed in the back of the truck.  Our car has plastic bumpers and a full plastic pan under the car, so there is no place to tie the bow and stern lines.  Has anyone used either the webbing loop that gets bolted under the hood, or the loop with a toggle that just gets placed under the hood and brought up along side the hood?  How do you eliminate chaffe on the car's paint?  

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: kayak tie downs

Sorry not to be able to help w/ your question, but....

I'm strongly considering a SW Sport Hybrid for a build in the coming fall, and would love to hear your review once you get it out (and pictures).

Enjoy, Hickory

I made a pair of the toggles & loops that I put under the hood. They work great and I have had no problem w/chaffing while using them.

One of the times I hooked under the bumper under the front I had chaffing but other times it has been OK. On one vehicle I hooked the rear tie down too close to the muffler & it melted through....

Ralph

Most cars with plastic bumpers have a cap in the bumper that hides the threaded hole for the tow hook. This is an eye bolt that is most likely in the tool kit that came with the car. My Honda Fit has one of these in the front and a metal tow loop under the back bumper. These are what I use for long distance carrying of the boats. I use Thule ratchetting nylon rope thingies and there has been no chafing. For local trips I find the rack straps enough.

Dan

Just sent Darling Daughter off on a voyage for Memorial Day weekend with Kaholo on top of a Dodge Neon. Yakama roof rack, Yakama bow/stern tie downs (rachet deals). I made a pair of web straps w/grommets and bolted them under the hood using existing bolts. A loop of line hooked to bow tie down. Stern tie down was hooked to the trailer hitch safety chain loop. One cam strap across the Kaholo attached to the front roof rack.  She traveled about 120 miles, no probs. 

If I could figure out how to post a pic of the rig I would.

All vehicles have one thing in common, license plated fasteners both front and rear. I replaced the fasteners with Stainless Steel eye bolts from West Marine.

Brilliant!. I am puting them on my car this weekend. No more climbing under to tie off to some other structure.

Thanks

David

I don't want to ruin a good idea, but be cautious...  Make sure that the license plate fastners are anchored to to something solid. 

The front license plate holder is often pop-rivited to the plastic bumper cover.  The rear license plate bolts often screw into a nylon type insert in the trunk lid or bumper cover. 

Both are sufficient to hold a license plate at high speed, but may not be enough to tie down a boat in an emergency...  You don't want to loose your bumpers along with the boat.

I would put that in stronger terms than MRC. DON'T DO IT! License plate fasteners are never more than 6mm at best. Not nearly enough to secure bow and stern lines to your car.

Dan

I use nylon webbing loops bolted (with washers for reinforcement) to fender bolts under the hood of my VW Jetta. I used the bolts nearest the front of the car. For the rear tie-downs, since I have a trailer hitch on my car, I use the safety chain loops that are an integral part of the hitch assembly. I use S-hooks at the rear, so chafe is not an issue, and it does not interfere with using a trailer with safety chains at the same time. All is extremely secure. I've made the trip from New Jersey to Maine and back several times with this arrangement, and I've never had a hint of a problem.

Jim

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.