KAHOLO BREATHER

Just an observation. I know everything I read says to cut the hole for a deck plate or drill the hole for the breather after the finish is applied. This makes sense.

When I put my Kaholo together it was much cooler in the garage. Today I was wiping it down getting ready to apply the finish. I noticed what looked like some bulge between stringers.

So I drilled a hole in the final location of my Deck plate.

Air hissed out of that hole for 30 plus seconds!!

Its only 70 out, I cant imagine the pressure sitting on a beach all day.

So I think if you should at least drill a pilot hole in the location of your deck plate or breather. Still wont interfere with finish and will let the board breathe.

David

David

10 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: KAHOLO BREATHER

Good idea.   Ultimately do you plan to just install deck plate or also the breather tube?   I skipped the tube and installed the plate.   Trying to decide if I just want to drill a hole in the plate cover and call it good.   I don't care for the look of that breather tube.   But if I forget to open that plate now and then....it won't do me much good.

I am putting in a deck plate. I am leaning towards a small holw in the deck plate.

I really dont like the look of the breather tube. But it is now very clear to me that it must be a solution that doesnt depend on me loosening and tightening!!

David

Yes.   I have heard of people who drill a hole in the plate and then secure some sort of sponge to the under side of the plate cover so that if a small amount of water was to get in the hole, that it would get stuck in the sponge and not get into the boat cavity.    I would think it hard for much water volume to be able to enter that hole but who knows?

About two weeks ago, there was a thread about a vent/leash pulg posted by lucabrasi.  Has anyone tried one?  I beleve that the url is

http://greenlightsurfsupply.com/ventedleashplug.aspx

If it works, it looks like a more elegent solution than the breather in the kit or a deck plate.

Regards,  Mike

The Goretex vent/leash plug is neat, but the more savvy than me folks say the Kaholo has a LOT of volume and you would need several Goretex breathers to get the job done. They are normallybused to breath a foam core board which doesn't have a lot of air volume. 

I usewd a CLC style breather - tad ugly but no one seems to notice.

I'm putting in a deck plate and was thinking of cutting 2 2" diameter holes in the deckplate and covering them with Goretex. That's a pretty big area of breathable fabric, I'd think it would move just as much air as the fairly narrow breather tube. 

I plan to use two of the Goretex vent plugs in my Kaholo 12-6.  Just put varnish coat number five on her today.  If it looks good when dry I will epoxy these in tomorrow!

I built a Kaholo and fashioned a breather from teh top of a sports drink bottle - works quite well and elegant if I do say so.  Twist up to release and down to seal.  Placed it just behind the sup carry handle I installed mid deck.  Sorry - don't know how o post pics here.  I am on the standupzone site in teh shape shack forum.  Search on Kaholo

I installed the deck plate and so far have just been unscrewing it when not in use and it seems fine with the holes in it, breather tube, or anything?   I am thinking of just keeping it that way.  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.