CLC Sail Rig Question: Building the Aka's

Hi, I am currently preparing to build the Aka's for my CLC Sail Rig.  I am building from plans and have been looking for a cost effective way to build them. 

I believe I have 2 options. 

I could cut the Aka's out of 12mm Okume similarly to what a Kit builder would receive..... OR  I can build the gig and use layers 1.5" x 1/4" x 12' wood(Pine is all I could find) like it says to do for plans builders. My problem is that if I buy the 1.5" x 1/4" stock then it will cost me about $100 per Aka in materials.  To avoid this I purchased a quality 2x12x12 and planned to rip down 1/4" strips on my table saw.........wishful thinking.   That didn't work out so well with my cheapo craftsman saw.  I also do not have the 12mm Okume on hand so I would have to purchase that for over $100 too. 

I would really love to hear your recommendations or cost effective ways to complete this project.  Thanks, I look forward to your responses.  

18 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: CLC Sail Rig Question: Building the Aka's

Danno,

I don't have any comments regarding building the akas.  I do however have a main (38 sqft), genoa (29 sqft), jib (17 sqft), boom and mast for the CLC sail rig for sale.  The main sail has mast hoops.  All the sails were hand made.  I'm the second owner.  The main sail with mast hoops, is much more versatile than the standard CLC main sail with a sleeved luff.  Also, the mast has stay cables.  Have you already sourced a sail(s) and mast or are you interested in mine?

I'm located in Oxford, PA.

Rob Neely ([email protected])

I think your best bet is to figure out a way to cut the strips. Get a fresh, thin kerf blade for the saw (less load on the motor if that's the problem), clamp/bolt a longer fence onto the one that came with the saw, make sure the fence is in the right spot and very stiff (does the far side wobble? -fix that), set up some long infeed/outfeed table/ramps, and let er rip. Try to cut with the convex side against the fence (assuming the board isn't/doesn't stay straight), keeping the board touching the fence right where the blade is.

Heck, adapting some of these methods you could use a circular saw to cut out the strips. Clamp/screw a fence to the base, clamp or screw the 2x12 to a table or some horses, and just cut in a firm and steady fashion.

Make sure you use some thickener in the epoxy (microfibers, milled fibers, cotton flock) to keep it from running out of the joints, since you will have some "texture" from the sawblade. Most of the texture is good, but the bigger gaps need some help from the thickener.

... and another option:

Store bought 1x material and hot water. Get a piece of 3"+ pvc or drainpipe and a couple end caps, slide some 1x2 pieces of cedar inside, and fill most of the way with HOT water. Cap the pipe and lay it flat to try to fully immerse the wood in the water, wait 10 minutes, then transfer the pieces to your bending form. Let them dry (from the water, no glue yet!) for a couple days and you should eventually have enough pre-bent pieces to glue into the desired shape. These wet bent pieces won't retain the full bend, but should retain enough not to allow lamination.

If the bends are still too tight, try relaxing the curves that the plans call for, and padding/shimming the part that needs to be tightly curved (over the deck is the tightest curve?).

Danno,

I don't think kit builders get 12 mm for the aka laminations, but rather pre-cut strips like plans builders. I'm planning to build from plans as well and will do what you have attempted, ie: rip 2X material. I'm going to attemp to source some fir, tho. As far as ripping not working out for you, not sure why it didn't but like nemochad said, get your self a new thin kerf blade. you need infeed/outfeed rollers to support the work and a good fence (clamping a piece of wood to the saw table can work good). I would definitely try to get the laminations cut on your saw. I've resawed walnut boards using a $99 sears portable table saw with good results. Nice sharp blade, good fence and infeed/outfeed rollers is the ticket. Dave

You could make hollow 'box' akas, I've done this recently for an outrigger canoe.

Cut ply side webs, say 6mm, with the desired sweeping shapes with a sabre saw. Cut top and bottom pieces from timber, say 10mm thick, scarf if needed to get length. Cut rebates into the timber pieces to locate the ply side webs (rebate to match ply thickness, say 6mm by 6mm). Rebates are cut into two opposing edges, one face only. Add solid blocks at ends, and probably at stress points: where they lash to deck, mast partner location. Clamp and glue up with epoxy. F or G clamps at key points (ends, mid way), packing tape and/or rubber inner tube strips make good clamps for the curvy bits between.

The unknown is dimensions. Hollow beams will need to be slightly larger than solid beams, but the difference is surprisingly small. As well as costing less these will be substantially lighter than the solid ones.

I could find a link to a beam calculator I used for you if you want to pursue this.  cheers, Dave

I bought a 2"x8"x12' cypress board and ripped the strips with a commercial grade DeWalt circular saw and the ripping attachment that came with it.  Did a beautiful job!

That for all the great ideas guys!! 

Now that I know that a ripping saw blade exists, I know that was part of the problem. I set up and outfeed roller but not an infeed roller. The 2x12x12 I was using was pretty heavy and was binding up on the table of the saw.  I think the 2 roller system would have worked well.

A longer fence is a nice idea too and would really help for a smoother cut.

Lastly, I think I need to build a more sturdy table saw stand.  The one that came with the craftsman saw is very flimsy. 

I chatted with a few carpenters at work and they were all willing to help me complete this task too.  I may take them up on it.  I will try to post my results when I have achieved success.  Thank you all for your help.

This may be obvious, but I would set your fence so your finished cuts are on the opposite side of the blade from the fence. That way, the wide piece of lumber helps steady the work against the fence. If you do it the other way, the fence on the outfeed side of the cut is more or less useless for steadying the work. Unless, of course, you have an extended infeed fence extension. The downside is you have to adjust the fence after each cut, but that's no big deal.  Lots of ways to  skin the cat. 

Test

I went the route of building the akas by going to Home Depot and purchasing Pine lattice. Its $100 per aka so it isnt cheap but the finished product is sweet. I broke form with the plans by actually physically using the decks of my kayaks for which to lsminate the section that avtually touches there. I get the three lattice stacked laminate and then epoxy it under the section that curves over my decks. The end result is very very smart looking aka with the laminates curving custom to my kayak. Very easy to do.  You dont want more than three strips as itll be too high off the deck with any  more. Cut em to size, skather with epoxy and twist stitching wire around it to keep the strips in place, then using rope (a lot) tightly tighten the strips scross your wax paper covered decks until it is tight and flush. Leave it on for two weeks. Then sand and plane clean snd epoxy it to the main aka proper. I was pleased to dine it didnt flex out when I removed it and it still held the deck radius.  In the foreard aka I left some gaps so deck water would pass through on those pitches that submerge the bow to stern with overflow.

The clc method is solid but my way looks nicer.

Pete

Pete can you post some pictures?   Thanks

Dan

I have a pic on my laptop of it when it was on the workbench ill post it when i locate it.

Pete

Thanks Pete!  Pictures are worth a thousand words.

On another note:  I think I have located some clear cedar at a reasonable price that I can cut down into the 1/4" strips.  I also have a professional carpentry shop that will cut them for me at no cost.  I think those would be beautiful. Wish me luck!

I am excited!  I was able to get the 1/4" strips cut from a 2x12 KD Fir today. I brought the wood to my buddies professional carpentry shop, what a help that was! I got about (22) 1x4" x 1-1/2" x 12' strips.  It think its pretty sweet to get the material I needed for less than $20.  I am setting up the jig this weekend! 

Way to go! When you get it jigged up, see if you can take some pics an post them. 

I will definately take pictures and post them for everyone to see.  I didn't get the chance to set upi teh jig this past weekend.  I am a Volunteer Fire Fighter and we has a monster of a house fire in the next town over.  Needless to say, that took up my day I had planned to use to set up the jig.

I did get the chance to purchase some cabnet grade ply to build a 16' long x 2' wide table for the jig though. Nice material and I can use it again in the future.  I think I'll cover the entire table top with plastic.   

I have the first Aka in the jig now!  Here are the pictures.  CLC staff free free to use the pics as you please. 

[IMG]http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/danno0427/cf8fec23.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/danno0427/9678e591.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/danno0427/6406b715.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/danno0427/12d2d041.jpg[/IMG]

Sorry guys, I'm having trouble adding pics from my iPad. 

http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/danno0427/?action=view&current=12d2d041.jpg

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.