Surfboard Wax on a Kaholo deck?

Has anyone tried using surfboard wax on a Kaholo deck?  I am varnishing the deck (on my second coat of varnish out of a planned six).  Never used surf wax but have read the stuff must be scraped with a comb to create grooves to aid traction. Think that might not be ideal with the varnish. Appreciate any thoughts!

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Surfboard Wax on a Kaholo deck?

Surfed for years and never have scraped wax to get grooves. I have scraped the wax off a surfboard from a heavy build up. The wax would do its job for sure. You will have to add a coat of wax occasionally. If you leave the kaholo in the direct sun when not in use.  The sun will melt the wax or soften it up. Also a good tip to remove it. A splash of water hardens it quickly though.

The scraping with a comb is to rough up previosly waxed boards. If you want lumps for great grip use bump wax, or take a candle and drip hot wax over the area you want and wax the area coat after coat with a circular motion over the melted drops. Be extremely carful exposing your equipment to direct sunlight more than you should. make a bag for your board, cover it, travel with it covered up in its own surf bag. Heat is not our friend let it breath.

Thanks for the info! Surf culture sorta alien here in Tennessee...

Consider this a clear solution for Kaholo Board.  I also soft River shoes as oyster surround me also knee pads for kneeling if you lay down and paddle a rash shirt is suggested.    Monster Spray Traction is a clear textured coating that is easy to apply. Each 12oz can will cover 2-3 SUP (nose area), and 2-3 paddle shafts. Monster Spray Traction provides excellent long lasting (3-6 months) grip on SUPs, surfboards, sailboards, skimboards and almost any wetted surface! - Monster will not yellow or crack. - Overnight cure time recommended.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.