Kaholo Paddle

Any other recommendations on a SUP paddle other than the one on this website?   It looks nice, but wondered if anyone else has others I should also consider before deciding?   I am 6 foot 7 inches tall and it looks like it comes in an 88.   Hopefully that is long enough?

15 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Kaholo Paddle

If you can build the Kaholo, you can build a paddle.  You can get your woodwork on and go lamniated spruce/ash/cedar, custom carved hand grips, inlays, etc. etc. or go low-tech with a douglas fir closet rod and scrap ply, glass & epoxy.  I went low tech and built mine in a day and I still get compliments on it. 

I did it theway it is shown in this link.

Maybe something fancier down the line

http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-a-Stand-Up-Paddeboard-Paddle/

David

Thanks guys!   I thought this would be harder than maybe it is...so I appreciate the encouragement!   Maybe I will give that a try.   I have some extra marine grade ply that I built my Kaholo with - I could just use that for the blade correct?

OK.   I just went through all the instructions.   Can I build a paddle...yes I am sure I can.    Do I want to build one in time for paddling season...not sure I do.   Doesn't look hard but it will take some time that I am not really sure I have.    Since I am so tall and my wife and kids are all different heights I will probably make a couple of these over this year.   But for now....if I was going to build one...what do you all recommend?

I am 6'$" and use and 86". I am guessing you will want something that goes to 88" at least.

Check before you buy to make sure it goes that long. Many only are 86" uncut. I have this paddle and it is nice and it is gorgeous but after using a far lighter Kialoa paddle I will never go back. I didn't think it would be that big of a deal until I tried. It really is that big of a deal. There is a Kenalu paddle out there now and it may be long enough. I know my Kialoa only went to 86". Good Luck.

the sawyer paddle is a work of art , i expect if you contacted them they could make a longer one for you

Anyone have any specific paddles to recommend that I could look up?   Or any links to a paddle (especially any that come 88 or longer) that you could forward to me?

Grey w

Whale from CLC comes in an 88 inch option, is nice to look at and I am sure works well. I made a few for myself as noted above, but will by one of these when $$ allow.

David

Made paddles for the Kaholo. "Birds mouth" shaft (lots of birdsmouth info on the net - Google is your friend). 6 staves were 7mm X 14mm and one pair 7mm X 20mm to make an oval shaft which is, of course, hollow. The top few feet of the staves were planed down on the square edge to create a taper toward the handle. Blades were 2 layers of 1/4" C grain balsa, shaped and sheathed in 4 oz fiberglass. Octogonal birds mouth shaft shaped to round. Actually a bit oval crossection.  No fiberglass cloth on shaft.

The 76" paddle for my daughter wieghed 21.5 ounces finished. 

Home built paddles are lovely to look at, and if your primary goal is esthetic, go ahead and build one.  But you should seriously consider investing in a commercial paddle with a carbon fiber shaft (the blade material isn't as important). There are three reasons for this.

First, weight counts. In a one-hour paddle, you'll probably move that thing 1500-2000 times. A lighter paddle is less fatiguing to use.

Secondly, you're gonna want a paddle with a bent shaft (you can build one, but it's a fair bit trickier than a straight shaft paddle).  Bent shaft SUP paddles are a LOT more efficient than straight shaft paddles.

Finally, due to their length, SUP paddles tend to flex far more than canoe or kayak paddles at the shaft, especially if the paddler is tall (longer paddle shaft) or strong.  This flexing also robs efficiency.  Carbon fiber is far more rigid than wood and a hell of a lot lighter.

You can find a fairly decent and inexpensive carbon fiber paddle at supatx.com.   I have a couple of them, and they have held up very nicely.   

Thanks for the suggestion Paddledoc.   I just looked at that site and there is one that comes 87 inches (one peice non-adjustable) that may work for my height.   I had been thinking that I wanted to stay wood - considering all the time spent building the Kaholo.   What do you think of the one listed in the CLC site?    Wood but does have some carbon for strength it appears.   Any feeling on that one?    It also comes in an 88 which would be nice for me.

Do any of you use adjustable paddles?  I'm about to build a Kaholo and I'd like to start with one paddle for me, my wife and two daughters. 

I would like to, but all the adjustable ones I see don't go to a total length that is long enough for me.   I think I am going to have to get one long one for myself and one adjustable for the rest of the family.

Klaver,

I might have what you are looking for. How does a 92" adjustable paddle sound to you? We have a couple here, that we have not had a chance to get on our web site yet. We were joking around and wondered how tall of a person needed this paddle extended to full length. Ed, who is 6'4", was standing in a chair, and the paddle was still too long for him. I am certain that the lenght will be perfect for you.

If you give me a call or email, I can give you the complete details. We will have these on our web site very soon.

Indeed that could be perfect?    Might me nice for the other member of my family depending on how far down it adjusts, etc.    Will e-mail you soon.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.