Graphite powder color change

I'm about to start a Shearwater 17 and I was wondering if the graphite powder will  effect the color of the boat.  I'm hoping to do a complete wood finish and I love the idea of the added strength, but having never worked with the stuff I would hate to ruin that look with the powder.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

11 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Graphite powder color change

Graphite powder is greyish black when applied.

Dan

... and adds sand-ability, slickness, and abrasion resistance to the resin, but not "strength".

Graphite powder is not carbon fiber, though they are both made from the same stuff, sorta. The difference is long fibers versus powder which is no fibers.

In my opinion, it's just the opposite - graphite/epoxy mix actually enhances the look of a bright-finished boat. I've settled on a 50-50 mix (by volume) these days and that comes out a very deep glossy black. If you sand it, it turns pencil lead gray (not surprising since both are graphite in a binder matrix). I leave mine unsanded. The picture below shows my WD12 getting its graphite bottom. Click on it for more pictures.

Nemo's absolutely right about the mechanical characteristics.

Have fun,

Laszlo

I agree with Laszlo. I did my first Duck all bright. Did the second with the graphite bottom (ok i made a mistake that needed hiding!) However, after seeing the look of the second with Graphite, I redid the bottom of the first the same way.

Also i had a bright bottom long enough to know that the graphite handles submerged rocks, beachings and other thing much better.

David

is it completly opaque?Hard to tell from the picture if you can see the wood grain at all.

I am starting the shearwater as well and considering the graphite bottom. After some use, will the graphite leave any residue from handling.

The finish is shiny black, if you do not sand it, which I would say do not do.  there is no loose residue to come off.  I dragged my Mill Creek over a gravel beach numerous times.  I can see mars from this, but cannot feel them.  the only scratch I feel is where i dragged it over a protruding bolt on a dock.  Even then it did not get thru to the glass.

I think this stuff should be standard finish for the bottom.  I even use it on the bottoms of my RC Sailing models.

PAG

2 or more coats is completely opaque. You can get it opaque in one coat, but then that coat has to be so thick that you can get nasty runs that you then have to sand. Better to use 2 thinner coats, even better to use 3 really thin ones.

Laszlo

My  Ches. 18 went thru hey last year.  Will graphite the bottom this weekend. 

Kim

I have a question.  How would the carbon fiber cloth work out as a bottom?

http://www.clcboats.com/shop/products/new/carbon-fiber-twill-weave-fabric.html

Kim

Not so good. CF is very stiff for its weight but has poor abrasion resistance and is brittle. You'd need to cover it with glass to protect it (and you from splinters if it fails).

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.