Couple of hybrid deck ?'s

I'm 1/2 way thru stripping a MC 16. What is the best way to remove tightbond residue? How much flex will I have when I remove the deck for the underneath fiberglassing? Along the sides are areas of less than 6 inches, seems like it would twist and bend a lot. Needless worry or not? Also, what are ways to cut out the coaming area and trimming the deck to the hull? japanesse saw , router, other?

Thanks John

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Couple of hybrid deck ?'s

The best way to remove glue residue is while it's still wet. A wet rag/paper towel works. Underneath, too if you can get in there. Once it dries, a sharp chisel or cabinet scraper works. Sanding will get the rest.

You shouldn't have to worry about your deck flexing when you take it off and flip it. It's surprisingly rigid and light.

I haven't built an MC, but I used a jigsaw to cut my hatches out of the deck. If you'd prefer a hand tool, I'd go with the Bonsai saw. CLC sells one I think.

John.

I have built two MC13 hybreds.  You need to be a little carefull when you remove glue and glass the backside.   I supported it with a couple of 2x4s over sawhorse's then went over the glue with a belt sander.  The problem when removing glue it gums up your paper really fast less likely with a belt sander.  Just don't put to much downward pressure when working with it upside down.  As tworivers said it is surprisingly rigid.  

Post pics when done.

To trim I used a laminate router with a flush cut bit.  Worked well.  Cutting flush hatches, jig saw with a very thin blade works well.

Lance

Lance, Did you trim out the coaming prior to glassing the underneath side or after glassing?

Thanks John

John.

I glassed the underside of the deck, then epoxy the deck to the boat at the same time as glassing the underside, then after the epoxy is cured I trim for coamings, sand the top to get it ready for glass and epoxy.  Then epoxy-glass the top proceded with three coats (or until fiberglass is filled) then apply comings.

Hope that helps.

Lance

I have some strips that are oriented a little up or down where the tounge and groove meet. In other words they are not on a perfect plane. Should I try to sand them down to be straight ( this is the underneath side on the deck ) or is that needless on this side.  Also once the glass is on and cured, does the deck still flex or is it ridgid. Is this why you do it in one step Lance?

Thanks again!!

My real concern is weather the cured glass inhibits the ability to conform the deck back to the hull. The deck is rigid, however its flexing too.

Thanks John.

John.

I would think the deck would still have some flex after the epoxy and glass has cured on the underside.  I have always glased and epoxied the deck in one long step so I never experienced it in two steps.  

Lance

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.